Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Chicken Vindaloo - Egg Style

FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'll admit that I was a bit intimidated by this cook, but a beautiful day here in the foothills of North Georgia paired with the correct number of pilsners and I was ready to go. Besides, I figure if Little Steven can pull off something like this then I should be able to do it without a hitch.

Started off by cubing 3 medium size red potatoes into 1/4" cubes. Lightly browned them in a little oil in a cast iron skillet. Set them aside. Then put a large diced onion into the cast iron and browned the onions. Once they were browned I added the vindaloo paste (3 Tbsp Penzey's vin powder and 3 Tbsp water), stirred in well and let it heat to release and toast the flavors a bit, then added a cup and a half of water, 1/4 cup vinegar, and a couple heavy pinches of salt. Poured this mixture into a 3.5 quart enameled Dutch oven.

ChickenVin2.jpg

On the other egg I had a few boneless skinless chicken breasts going. When they were done they were cubed and dumped into the vindaloo concoction.

ChickenVin1.jpg

ChickenVin3.jpg

This was then placed direct on the egg at 400* for about 45 minutes. Then I added the browned potatoes, a few pinches of curry powder, and a good pinch of hot crushed red peppers. Let that cruise uncovered for another hour or so, adding a half cup of water every now and then to keep the consistency right.

As all that was going on I had mixed up a batch of naan bread. Cooked the discs direct on the grid, brushed with a little melted butter. The naan was out of this world terrific.

ChickenVin4.jpg

ChickenVin5.jpg

Quartered the bread, served with a bowl of vindaloo, and was pretty impressed with the final product. Then about 3 bites in I figured out that someone had sneaked up onto my deck at some point during the cook and put about 200 of those bhut jolokia peppers in there. This stuff was a few notches above mild - but still very tasty.

ChickenVin6.jpg

ChickenVin7.jpg

Comments