Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with low temperature maintenance

Options
RoyalJay
RoyalJay Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all-
New Large Egg owner as of about 30 days ago. Have been loving it, and have cooked a lot of great things on there. However, I can't seem to master the ability to maintain a low temperature on the egg. With the vents open just a bit, I can't keep the temp under 275. If I close the vents to just a crack though, the fire goes out. I can't seem to find that happy medium where it will stay at 200-225 for a nice long slow and low cook.

Any pointers or suggestions anyone could give me would be much appreciated. Or if there's a guide already out there on the finer points involved, just point me that way. Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You want it to settle in at 250-260. Those temps are easy to hold and won't affect the BBQ at all. Very difficult in most cases to maintain anything under 225 without aid of electronics.

Small crack in the bottom vent, the daisy petals open about the width of a toothpick works for me, but each egg seems to have it's own temperament and settles in where it wants with various vent settings. Just let it ride.
  • NC Bill
    NC Bill Posts: 19
    Options
    Mine is setting on 260 with the bottom open about 1/8" and the top open about the same. Has been there for 4 hours.

Bill
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    with an inderect setup like a plate setter, when the dome temp reads 250 to 275 your looking at a grill temp of about 220 to 250, bbq temps. ribs butts and briskets done low and slow figure on a dome temp around 250 or get a gage that reads temps at the grill level.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    I know that me egg takes the vents to bo more open that most show in there pictures foe most temps. Also I am learning patience in actually allowing the egg to settle so that I can quit chasing temps all night. Try bringing it up to temp slowly, not overshooting your desired temp and as someone else has said try low n slow in the 250 275 range
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Why? Low and slow is at 250-275, you are good.
  • RoyalJay
    Options
    Thanks, that's helpful to know, I'm going to work on settling in at 250-275. I've done a few things at 275-300, but it seems to cook too fast at that range. For instance, I did a smaller brisket yesterday in that range, but it reached internal temp of 200 in about 2 1/2 hours. It was good but I wanted to eat it for dinner, not lunch :)

The other issue is when I close my vents as you suggest, my fire goes out. Any way to prevent that?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    have you checked the therm in boiling water, bge therms are noted to be off and lose calibration. always good to check before a low and slow cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RoyalJay
    Options
    Ah, thanks! I checked the thermometer and it was off 20-25 degrees. So when I thought I was cooking at 275-300 it was actually 300-325.

Of course, that means I'm that much further away from getting it to settle at 250. Will happily keep practicing though :)
  • fiercetimbo17
    Options
    When lighting how big of a fire are you starting with? When going low and slow you dont need a roaring blaze, get it lit and put your platesetter and whatever else put it and and bring up to your target temp