Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer for Mini

Options
BGElovr
BGElovr Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a used Mini and need a thermometer. I've been told that it takes its own thermemeter and I've been told that all BGE's take the same therm. Who is correct?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    Mini is much shorter
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BGElovr
    BGElovr Posts: 83
    Options
    Thanks...Kind of what I assumed but local retailers keep telling me they are the same and I can't find one that says I need and they carry the correct one. I don't see one on the BGE site either. Any suggestions?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Check this site out http://www.teltru.com/s-43-barbecue.aspx

Can't remember which one I bought for the mini but I think it was one with a 2-1/2" stem - BQ250.
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    I bought the 2.5 for my mini. Works great. Going to the mothership this weekend to check out the new Tek-Tru for the LBGE.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Before they made one for the mini I made a spacer for the thermometer.The spacer was a 1/2" copper coupling painted black and a sliding top before the sliding daisy wheel came out.

Larry

e0da.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The 2.5" TT is too short. Reading are not accurate, though it can be adjusted. TT will becoming out with 3.5" models soon which puts the notch on the stem INTO the dome rather than right at the edge of the ceramic. This notch is apparently where temps are most accurately read and if it's not IN the dome.......

Contact TT and see if they can send you a 3.5".

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    Options
    Mickey wrote:
    Mini is much shorter

Mine are the same for my large through mini, although the mini was used, so I don't know if it came with a smaller one. I will have to call and get the smaller one. I use the clip on the outside so the probe doesn't always hit the food.