Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick question Thermapen and chicken

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing a whole yard bird and other goodies right no.What temps am I looking for at breast and thigh? Done but not incenurated. On Droid so this is short. Thanks

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    160 breast
    180 thigh
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    By the way bill its your MEDICATION TIME :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I kill my spatchcock chickies. I place them up as high in the dome as possible using my rig extender on the AR. Then 400F direct until the leg quarter is at 200F internal. I usually get a 3 pound bird as well. Unfortunately the breast meat gets a little over done :blush: but, I get very crispy skin. To top it off I use a sweet rub and my crispy hickory smoked skin is dam good. :P

I'll be right back I need to go grill a bird! :woohoo:

Enjoy your bird Deane. I rode on a benefit ride for the Shriners in Nashville, Tennessee last Saturday. They were raising money to build a bathroom for the parking lot so Easter egg hunters could easily use the bathroom. They said their Easter egg event as well as Halloween are free to anyone who wants to go to the Shriners huge compound and parking lots. So, I was really for the children. ;)
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Glad you got to ride! Heading out tomorrow to get hair cut for first time since November! Only 60's but still be nice 125er ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    The ride was in Nashville so me and 5 other riders got up early in 45F degree morning weather and bundled up and met at 8:am to ride an hour to the Shriner's. When we got there no one else come for the ride only the Shriner's who were putting it on were there. So we paid our $20. a bike fee and the one Shriner led us the 17 miles route to a bar his wife managed. Oh well we rode close to 60 miles to get there and ride what ever "it was for the future children". I have not been on many benefit rides lately or for that matter the last couple of years. I met some fellow Harley riders and spread the word about the "Big Green Egg" got my cheap prize and tee shirt and Shriner pin and went home after a nice visit at the bar. We may have rode 140 miles round trip and it warmed up around 12:noon so I striped off a few layers for the ride home. The lead bike missed a turn and we all got a kick out of that. :laugh: ;)

I'm pretty sure I've had 3 maybe 4 hair cuts since November. I let the lady who cuts my hair cut it as short as possible with scissors. I kinda get a good head message as well. :laugh: That feels good. ;) I remember a time I had a full head of hair and let it grow for many years. I had a pony tail like WessB. Them was my hippie days. I am clean and sober now for about 17 years. ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Birds - turkey/chicken are safe at 165° breast, thighs and legs as per USDA. Always moist. Like Tim above at times I do cook to 190° - 200° and get a little different texture and different taste but the high temperature bird sure is good and a deep bbq flavor.

GG