Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Close! But Not Exactly - Spatchcocked Chicken

NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
edited 7:31PM in EggHead Forum
Alexis brought something home from the grocery store this week, one of which was this new (I think) item from Philadelphia Cream Cheese

DSC_0247resized-1.jpg

I thought it would make a good slather for a spatched bird. So I did one bird my usual way and slather another one with the creme spread under and over the skin, then salt and pepper. Cooked them both indirect at 350f on a raised grid for an hour-ish.

DSC_0260resized-1.jpg

Near the end, they were both looking good so I thought I'd hit the cream cheese one with another brush of that stuff.

DSC_0263resized-1.jpg

The usual one came out like this...

DSC_0264resized.jpg

The cream cheese one...ummm....butt ugly!

DSC_0265resized-1.jpg

So I took the normal one and served it with some grilled zucchini using Albukirky Rub (fellow Egger) & Mexican rice.

DSC_0275resized.jpg

Don't worry, the cream cheese one didn't go to waste. I tossed the skin and shredded the meat because it was fine. I used it the next night in these enchiladas which were equally great.

2159808resizedDesktopResolution.jpg

But lesson learned. It was worth a try though!
Knoxville, TN
·

Comments

• 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Even a cook like that comes out smelling like a rose. So to speak. ;)
    ·
  • Hi Chris,

Hope you are well.

I guess you never know unless you try!

The enchiladas look fantastic. We made a mole' out of some extra Pork Butt and the Mole. Well the leftover mole will be enchiladas this week!!

As normal the pics are great!
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Good save! ;) :)
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    Yeah, I wasn't two worried since I was doing TWO birds and even if the one came out bad, I could always use the meat without the skin.
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
    I've been loving mole this year! Is it on your website? going to check.
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
    I take what I can get, lol. :laugh:
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Been there,done that. :)
    ·
  • elzbthelzbth Posts: 2,075
    One out of two is not bad, and at least you salvaged the butt-ugly one :woohoo: . I have not seen this stuff either, but a friend told me about it yesterday. She sent me a recipe for Santa Fe Casserole (she got it from cookphillydotcom). She says its reall good stuff - I'll check it out. Thanks for posting the results :)
    ·
    Funny....the enchilada recipe used their Sante Fe version, lol. It was okay, very good for the filling but it definitely needs a good enchilada sauce on the top/outside.

This one I did is still my favorite for that: http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/11/can-canned-enchilada-sauce.html
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Nice presentation. Those enchiladas look great.

GG
    ·
  • You need to send that chicken picture to the Philadelphia cream cheese people! :laugh:
    ·
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Great pics as always Chris :)

Shane
    ·
  • You've got great skills on photography! and bbq-ing, of course!
    ·