Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egg decision?

wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have decided to get another egg and had settled on a small ( we already have a large) until I talked to my dealer today. He can order me a small with a nest and have it in a week . Then he brought up that he has a new medium in stock for the old pricing. The only difference is the grate (I'm ordering a CI grate anyways) and the locking casters. The medium will be $15.00 less than the small. Not sure what would be best. :S

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    If you don't need a travel Egg and burning a little extra lump is not a big deal the Medium sounds very good.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    That would be a no brainer for me...you'll love that new medium! :laugh:
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Go with the medium...If you're not happy with it, call me and I guess I could swap it out for my small.... :ermm: :ermm: :whistle::whistle: :woohoo:
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    I have a lg/md combo and love it. As stated already, if you need a traveling egg, the small might be a better choice.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Get the medium, then a mini for travel later.
  • Bulldog Mom
    Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
    I have a Large and Medium combo and it has ben great. I recently purchased a mini and I have completed my set. You won't go wrong with the medium. Don't pass it up.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I would go with the med :) we have that set up here in fl with a mini and love it. covers all the bases.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Richard,

The medium is a lot more versatile than the small. Locking casters are cheap at places like Fastenal.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Richard,

The small cooks a lot bigger than you'd think and it travels extremely well. That said, if you don't plan on taking it with you from time to time, then the medium would be the way to go.
  • For the price and extra room, I'd go for the medium over the small. I have a medium as my only BGE and am very happy with it. Went to look at the small and saw the medium next to it. That made up my mind which one I would go with.
  • wkygriller
    I guess it will be the medium :woohoo:. There were several reasons that we decided to add another egg.The first was the ability to cook multiple things at the same time that called for different cooking temps, but needed to be served at the same time. Another reason was (and this is a big one) my wife is traveling more for work, so I don't want to fire up the large to cook dinner for just me. If I find that the medium is still too big for cooking for one I will look into a mini. Thanks for all the help.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Richard,

I'll put this out there and I don't know if it would suit your needs but, IMHO, the best combo is large large. If you look at the price of additional stuff, you can justify it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• wkygriller
    Steve,
    I don't need another large. I need something smaller I can cook on when the wife is out of town and to use for side dish cooks. Looking at what a small or the medium is going to cost me its not far off what I paid for my large in October. Dealer quoted me $655. for new small and $640. for leftover medium (both are with nest). I paid $710. in Atlanta and that included 2 tickets into the fest. :pinch:
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    I've got the large/med combo. The medium is very versitle...I use it more than the large! OTOH, I really want a small too :whistle: !

fc
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    I have a med and mini and love the versatility of two eggs, often using both at the same time. I'd go with your large and a new small. The $15 savings is minimal. And you can take it with you. Or else, a mini is in your future and they are close to $400. Can't have too much of a good thing.