Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble getting to & controlling temp XL

Options
arsilvera
arsilvera Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please help: bought an XL and I'm having a difficult time getting it up to temp and maintaining it there.
I've been just starting the fire to get a sense of how a certain setup correlates with a certain temp, how fast it gets there and whether it is stable. What I am noticing is that the temp is rising very slowly, even after an hour and half the temp has not stabilized, its just rising more slowly. Here's what I've been doing (with help from store manager):
Fill lump coal to top of firebox/rim juncture.
Place firestarter in middle, laying larger coals on top of it.
Vent is wide open, as is lid. Let it sit for 15 minutes. At the end of 15" there is a ring 10" in diameter of white/red smoldering coal
1. Close lid: vent is open 1" and daisy wheel has half of each circle exposed. RESULT: 1.5 hrs to get to 250 and it would not stay there, just rose more slowly
2. Close lid: vent open 2", daisy wheel in place but individual circles fully exposed. RESULT: 1hr to get to 275 and it was still rising. Closed the vent to 1" and adjusted the daisy wheel to half circles. RESULT: temp went down to 250, not stable.
Something's wrong. If you've got some thoughts, please share!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    1. If you want a hot fire I would start fire in at least 3 places.(I normally even light two for a low and slow)
    2. Close dome and slide daisy wheel open to max with bottom vent open to max. The natural draft is what you want not open dome. Remove the daisy top all together for the first 10 minutes if you like.
    3. As you start reaching your target temp start shutting things down.

This should get you 500+ in less than 20 minutes.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • arsilvera
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    What do you do when your target temp approaches? Meaning, is there a setting that will just let the egg hold its temp, or does each target temp have a unique setting?
    I ask because I find that on the couple of times I have cooked food, I adjusted the vent/daisywheel modestly when I got close to temp and inevitably the temp went too low, then I opened the vent more but it went too high, etc. I'm sure you get the picture.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    The more you cook on the Egg the better you will get.
    It might take an hour for the ceramics in the Egg to reach a stable temp. As the ceramics heat up it will take less fire to keep a stable temp.
    Lets say you want 350 on your dome temp.
    Light in 3 spots on your XL. Bottom vent wide open and daisy wide open with dome shut. Don't sink your fire cubes real deep. Your initial temp might read high due to the flames of your starters. After about 10 minutes you should be getting a nice burn in 3 spots.
    At about 15 munutes you should be able to start shutting down your vents.
    I wish I could give you an exact setting but lump brand and size of lump will never be the same.
    Just remember, ceramic grills must be adjusted slow as temp changes are slow because they "hold" heat so well.
    If you shut down vents to fast it will drop the heat in lump but it might take you 15 minutes to know because of heat retension in the Egg.
    Email me any time and I will give you my phone #.
    I type real slow.LOL

Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • eggzlot
    eggzlot Posts: 93
    Options
    As others will say, each egg and situation is a bit unqiue.

I have an XL Egg since September, so I am still learning a bit, but this method has worked for me.

Since I mostly do low and slow.... let's say using 2-3 fire cube/starters, I place them at like 2, 6 and 10 if you were looking at the fire pit as a clock face.

I keep the bottom vent wide open. I keep the daisy wheel off the top.

I light the 3 cubes (half buried in the lump) and wait about 10 minutes. I close the lid and wait for the temps to crawl up to about 200 degrees give or take - depending on the outside temperature, wind conditions, etc this can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes give or take.

Once I hit just over 200 degrees, I then close the bottom vent to just a small sliver (maybe 1/8'' - 1/4'' open - look at the guidelines provided in grandpa's post) and I put the daisy wheel back on top with the pedals maybe half open max.

The temps will still continue to rise, but much slower, and will likely stall out around 250/270 degrees or someone in that ball park. Even if I over shoot and get to say 275/280, it is not the end of the world. When it stabilizes at that temp, when you put on the meat, slightly close the daisy wheel and the temps will drop slightly.

I then pretty much let it stabilize for about an hour and I walk away to go apply rub to the meat, get a beer, etc. You likely do not need to let it sit for an hour, but because I am paranoid and still new, I like to leave plenty of time. But remember, do not touch a thing on the Egg.

After an hour, it should be around the same temps, I open up the egg and toss in some wood chunks (I already buried more wood chunks deeper into my lump pile for burning later), let those burn for about 15 minutes to get rid of the bad white smoke, then I put in my plate setter and lump of cold meat.

The temps will drop drastically given the cold plate setter and cold meat, but dont freak, just trust it, dont touch any vents. just let it sit there. and in 30-60 minutes, your Egg will be back at that 250/270 temp range.

Most important, do not tinker. Each time you move a vent, it will take a few minutes for it to adjust. So if you keep moving vents, you are just going to chase temperatures all night. I am still fighting myself on this, but learn to just sit back, relax and trust the Egg to work for you :-)
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Very good advice. The only thing I change is I like to get my plate setter or pizza stone up to temp along with the Egg. I'm sure it matters little.

Great to see so many XL users.

Also, think about a Flip Ring or the new Adjustable Rig from "Ceramic Grill Store".
    It will really expand your cooking options.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    arsilvera: Let's start with the most obvious regarding airflow...Is the vent opening in the firebox lined up with the lower vent of the Egg?
    Is the cast iron grid in the bottom of your firebox prior to adding the lump?
    When is the last time you cleaned the ash from under the bottom grate?
    Definately sounds like an airflow issue, so I would start with these. Hope it helps!
  • eggzlot
    eggzlot Posts: 93
    Options
    Yeah I have my eye on the new Adj Rig from the CGS, I have the lump reducing ring, but have yet to pull the trigger on the new Adj Rig, but maybe soon.

There are times I get the plate setter placed as in as I am bringing everything up to a temp, but then it is tricker to quickly take it out, add more wood and put it back. I find the top layer of wood burns off while bringing the egg to temp, so I like a mostly new batch of fresh wood on top, like I said, I burn it for about 15 minutes before putting on the food. Just easier to toss in wood, wait, then add plate setter + food.

Like you said, I think that step is mostly just habit and shouldn't make a major difference.

Also as mentioned, I always clean out my Egg before a low and slow cook, but I do not get crazy with it, I just remove the ash from the tray at the bottom, put in fresh lump and make sure the openings on the grates on the bottom are indeed open.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Sounds like you are set. I have been very happy with my Flip Ring from Tom. It really does all I need at this point but the new AR is tempting me as well.
    I also picked up an old shop vac and use it to clean my Egg of ash.
    I use a pair of the Orca mitts to move my platesetter or stone. Still need to have a clear plan on where to sit it down as it will get hot.

http://www.amazon.com/Orka-Silicone-Oven-11-Inch-Black/dp/B000RYRA1Q/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1299616639&sr=8-12

Just like to get as much of the ceramics up to temp as I can before I dump the cold food.
    I even use the Lump Reducer under the plate setter for short low and slows.
    Take care,
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • arsilvera
    Options
    Eggheads rock!
    Thanks for all the valuable advice, will try them out this evening.
    In hindsight, I bet it would have been easier to learn on an L rather than an XL, but in the end I'll be happy to have the larger unit. I am encouraged by your experiences.
    Thanks everyone.
  • Raised on Webber
    Options
    I also have a new XL and noticed it took longer to get to temp longer that the large, which is the most common post reference size. The advise above is spot on so give it more lead time to heat up and you will be fine.
  • howmeisterg
    howmeisterg Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi there!

All the advice has been spot on here! I have been cooking on an XL since November, and think I am getting the hang of temp control. I was able, for the first time to get a brisket cook to stabilize at 225-240F for 15 hours. Prior cooks, I could not get belopw 250 without the fire going out (actually it was FEAR of the fire going out).

People have different techniques - I prefer to keep it simple by minimizing the adjustments to the daisy wheel for shorter cooks. I can easily regulate higher temps (325 and higher) with just the bottom vent, with the daisy wheel opened to a thin crescent ("petals" closed). For low temps, those "petals" really make the difference for me when trying to stabilize around and under 250.

So you WILL get there - it'll just take practice.

Interesting one thing you said. You add lump on top of the started lump because you are afraid you are not going to have enough?

If you fill the XL to the top of the fireBOX for shorter cooks, you will be fine. Fill it to the top of the fireRING (just under the platesetter) for low and slows. You'll never run out of fuel that way. For low and slows and baking alike, I light the top of the lump pile, wait 10 mins or so with the lid open, then place the platesetter on (being careful not to burn appendages and limbs).

Regarding the CGS - I too am waiting to pull the trigger on an adjustable rig - I am waiting for the XL Spider to be available and packaged with the rig. This will allow me to get a large cast iron grate real close to the lump for a great sear. I prefer the large CI grate to the 2 piece XL CI greate because it is easier for me to handle.

Happy egging!
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    My first Egg was the XL. I think temp control is so close to the large that learning on a large first is not needed.
    The lump grate on the XL is massive compared to the large and getting your fire started in my eyes is the only major adjustment. One or two small spots for a low temp cook and 3-4 spots for grilling or higher temps.
    Now I like to push lump to one side or use lump dividers and cook at more than one level and also have
    direct and indirect at the same time. I have a Large, 2 Smalls and a Mini as well but the XL is still my go to Egg.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas