Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuck Lid?

Options
RoundTowner
RoundTowner Posts: 125
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was talking with a buddy and he told me a friend of his has an egg he doesn't use cuz the lid is stuck?? Only thing I figure is he melted the gasket together? I told him to try and buy it off him.....? Any wisdom out there??

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Shove some paper in the bottom and try to light the lump thats left. Once it warms up the lid should open.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Help the friend out to get his egg open and not try to screw him out of it cause he doesn't know anymore about getting it un-stuck than you do....remind me not to lend you any money...
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    Just run a box cutter blade in between the lid and base and cut the old gasket, you're gonna need to replace it anyway.
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    It can take some real work to get them dang things back open. I was cleaning mine and it hit around 750 then I shut it down and the gasket melted.

Luckily I caught it before the fire died (was around 400 at the time) and I opened it back up and it got back to 650ish.

Even with that high temperature, I could not break it free without running a knife along the dome and base.

I would try to get it open without the heat I suppose. Like said, get a thin sharp blade in there to do the dirty work.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I've used a small scraper blade and tapped it around gently with a hammer. Took a couple of minutes, but got the job done. I haven't tried to lighting idea. My gasket is toast now and hasn't been replaced so that isn't a concern of mine anymore. Good luck.
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    If you are located in a colder climate, it may simply be due to the moisture that condenses during the cool down that freezes when the temperature is below zero. Just follow PhilsGrill's suggestion. To avoid the problem, I place some wood shims between the dome and the base once the egg has sufficiently cooled down and I have not had a problem since :)

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Signal 99
    Signal 99 Posts: 59
    Options
    I live near Syracuse NY and the lid gets stuck on my egg all the time in cold weather. Phil is spot on with his recommendation.
    ~HOPE~ is wishing something would happen. ~FAITH~ is believing something will happen. ~COURAGE~ is making something happen......