Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie ?

EgginTiger
EgginTiger Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After my mom passed away my dad gave me my mom's set of Le Creuset cookware knowing that he would never use it and that I would. I'm wondering if anyone has had any issues using this type of cookware on the egg, thinking that the egg is like an oven I can't imagine there would be any problems using it on the egg but I would like further input from those that have used cookware such as Le Creuset on the egg.

respectfully

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Le Creuset is fine to use on the BGE. There may some slight discoloration after using but a good scrubbing usually takes care of that...bake away...and remember the pics. ;):)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i use mine but only with indirect setups and temps not higher than around 350 for soups, stews, chili, gumbo, potroasts etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • vidalia1
    and baking bread... :lol: :silly:
  • EgginTiger
    this is exactly what I was thinking but needed confirmation, plenty of pics will be forthcoming after this weekend. Thanks for the input
  • EgginTiger
    I thought indirect was best and not use it direct.

Thx :)
  • EgginTiger
    baking bread? I never thought about that, fab idea :)
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Le Crueset will work fine on the egg. If you don't want to worry about cleaning the build-up that will inevitably occur on the outside bottom, covering it in a layer of aluminum foil will help.

john
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Hi John,
    Hope all is going well with you. I alway look forward to the pictures you post regardless of what the subject matter is.

Have a great week.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Direct is fine, too--it will just make the outsides quite sooty. The soot is easily removed with a scrubbie and a sprinkle of Barkeep's Friend (available at WalMart). I've used mine to cook everything from pie to roasted potatoes to cornbread to baked beans. One thing to remember: the black phenolic knobs are only rated to 475 or so. If you're planning a higher-temp cook, either remove the knob & plug the hole w/a twist of aluminum foil, or buy the replacement stainless steel knob.
  • vidalia1
    Ashley,

Baking bread, pizzas, pies, cookies, etc are great on the BGE. Just make sure you give the BGE plenty of time for the smoke to clear.
  • WooDoggies
    The Le Crueset will cook perfectly fine on a direct set-up. You will just have to be more careful of temp control as there is more chance of burning whatever you are cooking.
    Filling the firebox with lump just above the air holes will give you a little more distance between the fire and pot.... and give you more ability to control the temp.

john
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hmm, I thought the max temp for the knobs was 350°, not 475. Could be wrong, but I think the info is on their website.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    John,
    Someone told me a long time ago to rub a little dish soap on on the outside of the pot. The times I've tried it I was amazed it works. The dirty/smoke/whatever build up cleaned off much easier. I'm normally in a rush and forget that step though and have dirty pots. I use cheap Tramaneta ware so I'm not too worried about it.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I have some cheaper versions. The only thing to watch for is the temp. Your cookware will have a composite handle which is only good for so high a temp. My cheepo brand enameled cast iron has some handles that obviously have gone past that temp with user error.
  • EgginTiger
    My mom's set has stainless steel knobs that I believe my mom bought to replace the black ones
  • I've used the phenolic knobs to bake a whole bunch of no-knead loaves at 475 without the knobs melting, warping, or giving off any weird smell. YMMV.
  • vidalia1
    I cover my knobs with HDAF...just because it is easy.
  • WooDoggies
    I've heard of that trick but never used. Always thought the soap would make more of a mess than without. Good to know it works.
    Like you, I use my lowly stuff on the egg and keep the higher end enamels in the kitchen.
    Cheers!

john
  • WooDoggies
    Hey NewBob!

I haven't been photographing many cooks lately. Too dark in the evening and I hate the flash.

Here's one from not too long ago.

IMG_2202.jpg

john
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I use mine in the egg. Sometimes it gets a bit hard to clean the smoke off of the ceramics.

GG
  • fishlessman
    we used ivory soap in cub scouts, used to let a bar sit in water overnight to soften and smear it on the pots
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    places like marshals home goods stores have inexpensive knockoffs for around 40 dollars if you dont want to risk the good stuff, the cheap stuff works just as good in the egg as the 300 dollar stuff.
    fukahwee maine

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Hi John,
    As always, very nice indeed. You may not be taking a lot of pictures but I know you're eating well. :woohoo:

Thanks John,
    Bordello

or Old New Bob :silly: