Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Cheese

Options
dwunderlich
dwunderlich Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read up on smoking cheese a while back on this website and I tried the soldering iron method using apple wood chips. I have an off smell and taste too my cheese and I am wondering if anyone else has had that happen to them. It is almost an Ozone type smell. I left smoking contraption going for about 2 hours with out checking on it after that I saw it was producing decent smoke and when I finally checked on it the wood chips were gone and the iron was resting on the bottom of the can. Is it possible that the iron sitting on the aluminum produced that smell and taste. Thanks for any feed back

Comments

• MeatEater
    Options
    I have used this method many times, and have never had that problem. Did you burn the inside lining of the can before smoking? I believe that most, if not all cans have a lining in them. I have smoked cheese this way prior the getting my xl egg, and I have never burned all of the wood chips in the can, even during a three hour smoke.
  • dwunderlich
    Options
    I did not burn the lining out of the can and it was one of the coors light blue lining cans that I used. I bet that is what the problem was. Thanks for the feed back
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    dwunderlich writes:
    "I bet that is what the problem was."
    The fact that it was "Coors", or that you didn't burn the inside lining out..? :laugh:
    (Yeah..burn that inside liner out...)
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    It's going to smell bad until you age it for ten days. I smoked two batches of cheese today and the chips smoldered for three hours in a pineapple can and they never burned out.