Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

What is this thing?

BigGreenGreggBigGreenGregg Posts: 161
edited 5:41AM in EggHead Forum
I am, as always, not the sharpest, but what is this thing??


It came in the "owner's" bag with my small. Don't recall getting one with the Large and don't see anything in the instructions.

Anyone care to enlighten the dim one? Thx


  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,217
    Bottle opener for a large flat sided beer bottle. I have a small and never got one either. Hard to tell the size. Is it small enough to be a wrench?
  • It's about 4 inches long and 2 1/2 wide. Would it be for the nest? (only thing I can think of, since I didn't get a nest with the Large). Can't see anywhere/anything it would fit. But again, I'm not the sharpest..... :whistle:
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    could be a go nad checker :whistle: :laugh:
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,217
    I have a nest that is about 5 years alo and wouldn't fit anything I have. Maybe it got there by eggstake. Can you ask the dealer soon?
  • smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,907
    Maybe for the large nut that attaches to the wheels of the nest... :huh:
    Large, Small, and a LOT of Eggcessories!  Southlake, TX
  • It's a "Spanner Wrench" ! Now what it fits ??? Usually used around marine fuel tank fittings that are flush with the deck. The fuel cap has two holes in it! The two tits on the spanner wrench fits the two holes in the flush fuel cap to tighten or loosen it !
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Chicken wing flipper overer?? :woohoo: :ermm: :ermm:
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    Best "guess" I could give ya...given that I have never seen one before and also have no size comparison....maybe a grid lifter?????
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,579
    I don't know but my bet is there is some dude in Mexico who works for BGE and is laughing his butt off that he threw that in to make some gringo go nuts! :laugh:

    Seriously though I wonder if it could be some tool used in the manufacturing process that accidentally got packed!
    L, M, S, Mini
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    I think it is a piece of metal with two knobs on it. :S :pinch:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • mbmikembmike Posts: 32
    Well everyone its the wrench used to hold the caster on the eggnest when tightening the nut. Gues to many complaints that people couldn't use a pair pliers to hold the caster. :ermm: :lol:
  • beesbees Posts: 335
    Could it be an egg caliper, which if checked privately, would put you in the "junior" egg category?
  • Here it is next to the Small daisy wheel:


    Obviously too small to be 2Fateggheads guess... :woohoo:

    But WessB could be on to something:


    It does function as a grid lifter!! That's why I ask my questions here ;) I'll check with the dealer to confirm, otherwise I'm going with RRP's vote. Thanks guys!
  • It looks like it would fit on the wheel of the nest to secure it from the bottom while you screw the nut from the top. I am puzzled why it would be with the owners manual if that is what it is for (and not in the box for the nest).

    Grid lifter makes little sense, but who knows. I know there was a new CI grid lifter, but it looked completely different.
  • it's a passport to America!
  • Peach De-fuzzer?
  • Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 2,772
    Oh No,
    I had no idea I was to check them! and I nevr have, Hope I will be OK. :laugh:
    Jupiter Jim

    I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

    Okeechobee FL. Winter

    West Jefferson NC Summer

  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    turn it 90 degress from the way pictured to use as a grid lifter...even it aint intended for that looks like it would work well for that purpose..
  • Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
    Dam%....guess I missed out on that one. You lose....story of my life ;)
  • poolguypoolguy Posts: 129
    it is to hold the swivel on the casters while tightening the nut.
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Hey Larry! you planning for OKC?
  • And the dealer weighs in...guess we're all wrong!!! :ohmy:
  • I agree with Ron, RRP! :laugh:
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,579
    L, M, S, Mini
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    You are who you are. :laugh:
  • Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 2,772
    Your reply was just great!

    I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

    Okeechobee FL. Winter

    West Jefferson NC Summer

  • It's a tool used to tighten the wheels on the nest. When tightening the nut on the caster wheels, the bracket on the wheel will spin so you use this tool to hold it in place while you tighten the nut.
  • crghc98crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    it looks like the wrench that came with my meat take the plastic (coupling?, nut, whatever) off that holds the blades in place.

    wonder if one of the tools for a piece of equipment got into your box...
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.