Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Considering a small...

Options
Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large. I often cooks steaks, burgers, chicken etc. for two people. I also cook pork tenderloins every week or two.[p]What are the advantages of adding a small?
What does (and does not) fit on a small?[p]The opportunity to buy an egg at the demo price at the Fla Eggfest has me considering a small, but eggs are still pricey and I don't want to put the money there if I have everything I need. Having eggs at two different temps would really be nice...but having a guru would be nice too. What's the next purchase for "the gift that keeps on receiving" as my husband calls the egg????[p]Thoughts?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Trouble,
    i started with a large, then added a small. . ..i love the small for small cooks, like a few burgers, hot dogs, sausages, etc. . i've also used it in conjunction with my large for searing prime rib roasts (i set up the small direct at 500 degrees, stick the roast in there for 15 minutes, then move it to my large, set up indirect at 325 to roast. . ..i have a large round grill wok (from crate and barrel) that fits perfectly in my small . . .here's a pic. .. turns the entire egg into a grill wok. ..[p]DSCN0723.jpg[p]a lot of people prefer their smalls for trexing steaks as the grid is closer to the coals. .. [p]i've since add a second large to my group, but i still use the small a lot. .. great addition. .. go for it

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Trouble,
    The small is a great addition to a large. I have both and you hit it on the head when talking about being able to cook at two temps. I would suggest getting the metal grate with your small though.
    Seth

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    nice settup, have you tried controlling the temps with that wok in place and the dome open. ive been wanting to make a plate to cover the whole opening with holes in the center to act more like a wood fired burner. my great grandmother used to make portuguese paellas over an open fire (these are different than spanish paellas).they need to be cooked over an open fire because the rice is not to be steamed as would happen if you close the dome.something that i will be experimenting with this summer.ive been wanting to do it for a long time

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Trouble,
    i was saving for a small and when i had the money, i realized that 2 larges would work better for me,should have the money by spring, but lots here seam to like the large small combo

fukahwee maine

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Trouble,[p]I'll jump in here, too, particularly since I'd LOVE to see you pick up a new egg at the Florida Eggfest![p]I love the small for all of the reasons the others have mentioned, but for us, one of the biggest reasons we wanted one was for travel purposes. We do a lot of camping and the small is the PERFECT little cooker for our many outings. It does EVERYTHING that a large does, but is more travel friendly. [p]The largest roast I've had on it was an 8 pound pork butt, which took almost 18 hours to cook. I filled the small with lump to the top of the fire ring and that little baby went long and strong for over 16 hours. I did have to add a bit of lump at the end of the cook, but was mightily impressed with how long the lump lasted on one full load![p]We have also taken it to family outings, and take it to every Eggfest we attend, for the after-parties! [p]It's my favorite cooker for steaks (though Larry and I differ in that opinion - he likes his mini for them). [p]We found that once we had more than one, we use more than one for most cooks now. Large for main course, small for side dish, bread or appetizer. Or, large for lunches for the week, while small cooks dinner tonight, etc., etc.[p]Take the plunge! You won't regret it![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Trouble
    Options
    QBabe,
    Yikes...you paint a very compelling picture of my patio with two eggs smoking away...[p]Interesting that Larry prefers the mini for steaks. That might be something to consider. [p]Well I'll talk to Mike. As he said last night when I mentioned this, "ya know, Valentines Day *is* just around the corner." [p]Aside from the food, this is his favorite aspect of the egg sub-culture. He never has to think too hard about gifts for me; just gets the next item on the egg wish-list.[p]Can't wait to meet you.
    Joyce

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Trouble,
    Go for it! I love my large and small combo - in fact my wife surprised me with a medium as well. Use-wise I'm 60% small, 30% large and 10% medium. [p]Though it was recommended for you to buy a cast iron grill BGE doesn't have one yet for a small, but I made one by cutting a 13" diameter one out of a 13 x 16" grate - used a sabre saw and metal cutting blade and 10 minutes work. Yup, the small is a real nuking cooker for steaks, but a workhorse in its own rights too.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Trouble
    Options
    Crab leg,
    Thanks. Tell me more about the need for the metal grate, please. What does it come with, and what are the benefits of metal? Thanks again for the input.
    Joyce

• Trouble
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I hadn't thought of that searing situation. It has been a bit of a challenge to change the setup of the large when a cook is already underway, especially at high temps. I'll have to add this methodology to my "Mad Max Turkey and Prime Rib Bible."[p]Thanks.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    RRP,[p]Actually, I think the recommendation was in reference to the charcoal grate at the bottom of the firebox, but I could be misreading it, too, LOL! I think they were suggesting that she get the metal one rather than the ceramic one. This is standard on the eggs now, so any coming from HQ now, should already have the metal one included.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Trouble,
    My small came with a ceramic grate at the bottom, and I was having a dificult time getting high temps with it. I have since replaced it with a metal grate, that has larger holes, and have no trouble getting sear(750* and up) temps for trex steaks. Like others have said, I also took camping into consideration when I picked the small as my second egg.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    with that wok, you can close the dome ... it won't 'seal' but it will close about 98%. ..with the bottom vent closed down pretty tight, you can still control the heat, and certainly avoid flairups when woking stuff that uses an oil based marinade. .. .besides veggies like you see in that picture, i've tossed cut up italian sausage and peppers in that rig with great success..... like i said, i found that particular wok at crate and barrel last year for around 20 bucks... its only drawback is that it has large holes so you can't fine chop your veggies like you can with some of the other grill woks. ...

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Trouble,
    i've done it both ways, this way is just a little easier. .. if you've seen my prime rib post on the naked whiz's site, you see that one is based on using one egg. ..and i don't change the basic setup, i simply close down the vents as soon as i put the roast in the egg to go from 500 degrees to 325 degrees. .. [p]don't wait though. ..go get that small!!!!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    QBabe,
    I understand...I'm just saying that cast iron grilling surface on a small BGE is terrific and allows you to sear cross line patterns on steaks that will make gassy users cry!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    come on down to waldorf in may and get your new large there. . .the money you save on the egg should just about cover a night or two in the motel at eggfest and toll money to get here and back. . ..what a deal, what a deal!!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Crab leg,
    i think the newer smalls automatically come with the metal grate, but its certainly a question worth asking. ..just like the spring loaded hinge, which it should also come with. . ..

• fishlessman
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    sounds like a plan, i always end up spending a lot to save a little, someday ill have enough eggs and fishing equipment that ill be able to retire. its kind of like a simple retirement plan

fukahwee maine

• GG
    GG Posts: 3
    Options
    Trouble,[p]
    I don't get a chance to post much, but I went for the Large/Small combo and works out great for me. The small is great for searing steaks and burgers. I know others prefer the mini for that, but the small seems more versatile. My two cents...[p]Gil