Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Egg Charcoal

Options
SEMS
SEMS Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a Green Egg newbie and I have a question about charcoal. I've been changing out my charcoal each time I grill to help ensure my Egg gets nice and hot to sear steaks. But, this week I'll be trying ribs. Can I use the older charcoal for this?

Comments

• transversalInactive
    Options
    That's one of the beauties of the Egg.....I never throw it out....I just keep adding to it. Good luck with your ribs. Let us know how they came out.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You can use the older charcoal for steaks, too. It will burn just as hot as long as you give it a quick stir to knock the ash off and clear the air holes. The chemical composition of carbon doesn't change in between the cooks.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    welcome, sems. I don't remember the last time I removed any old lump from my egg. if there's not enough, I add more, but I never take any out. Just stir the old so the ashes fall thru the grate and pile more on top. Use a coat hanger or similar to poke up thru the bottom of the grate to open up any clogged holes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Adam Boca
    Options
    I agree with te last 2 posters..just add to the existing charcoal if it is thinning out..like they said stir it and you will be good!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I am assuming that you are using lump charcoal, correct?
    If so, yes, of course, you can always reuse unburnt or partially burnt lump. B) If you are refilling the egg just take out the old, clean out the ash pit and and put in fresh, then put used lump on top, discarding the really small stuff. Used on top makes the egg light easier.
    There is no need to change out after every cook. Start with a full load and just stir it around prior to subsequent cooks. You will be amazed at how far a load of lump will go.
    There will be no difference in temps between old and new, if anything, the old will burn hotter because the few impurities present in the new are gone :)
    You do need a wiggle rod of some sort, a bent coathanger will work, to reach in through the bottom vent and clean out the airholes in the fire grate.
    I hope this helps and welcome to the forum! :):) :cheer:
  • Carolina Q
    Options

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Capt Frank
    Options
    Hi Michael, I guess I put in a little TMI on that one. I light with a MAPP Torch and putting used on top of the new reduces the sparking significantly. I ruined several shirts before I figured that out!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    You have a point there. Ever light new lump while wearing polar fleece? hahaha Wool and cotton are good. Synthetics, not so much. :) For me, it's easier to wear something old that you don't care about than it is to clean out the egg and dump the used stuff on top.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Capt Frank
    Options
    I understand, down here I am often wearing a synthetic fishing shirt or no shirt at all and flip flops. This is a family site so I am only going to say that if you ever get a hot spark between your toes or in your chest hair you will think twice about how you light your egg! :ohmy: :side: :silly: :blush:
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    Absolutely. I stir them around quite a bit to remove the ash and clean out the bottom of the egg good. Just top off with fresh lump if needed. I can sometimes get several cooks from one load of lump.