Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

food dehydrators

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,827
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
any recommendations, want to get one not overly expensive but can dehydrate a few sliced sweet potatoes at a time for the dog. unbelievable the cost to buy them at the pet store and its one of the only treats the dog likes that his kidneys can tolerate. got his blood work in today and its looking much better
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Can't help you on the dehydrator, but glad to hear the pooch is doing better...

If it's any solace mine has $5500+ of reconstructed knees.... :pinch: However it is the best decision I ever made...
  • fishlessman
    Options
    im a little over two thirds there now but his week of food cost twice what im eating :blink: he will catch up quickly. they want 36 dollars for what equates to maybe 3 whole potatoes, im in the wrong business. he is down to 2 sub iv's a week now, better than everynight
    fukahwee maine

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Fishless: I had an Oster dehydrator that I used for jerky, dried apples, apricots, etc for years. Inexpensive enough, less than $40 from Wally World. Glad to hear your friend is doing a bit better. :)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i have this thing against wally world, ill check bed bath and see if they carry those, maybe target has them too. the dr says to get him fat again :) this weekend will be the first time he has gone fishing in a couple months :)
    fukahwee maine

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Hey fish, good news on the pooch. ;) I've used a NESCO FD-1018P "Gardenmaster" for years. It's a quality dehydrator, but maybe a little more than you want to spend at around $130 or so on sale. I've put hundreds of pounds of jerky through it over the years and it dries pretty evenly, so no rotating trays. The original trays have discolored(yellowed)a little bit, but still work fine.
    107-0739_IMG.jpg
    107-0737_IMG.jpg
    107-0738_IMG.jpg

Mark
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Fishless,
    I don't blame you with the Wally World thing...I now try to avoid them also. Dehydrators are really super basic, just pumping warm air, so I think you'll be pretty happy with most you will find. IMO the biggest thing to consider is clean-ability...mainly, will the trays fit into your sink for a good soaking after use. Just my two cents. :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    fishlessman send pictures of your buddy.
    I would like to see him.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    That's a great point Michelle. Mine will not fit completely in my sink basin. I have to fill one basin with soapy water and spin/scrub the trays vertically one by one and then rinse in the other basin filled with fresh water. It's a pita.

Mark
  • fishlessman
    Options
    abes a brit

017-3.jpg

002-8.jpg

DSC_0013_00.jpg

DSC_0020-1.jpg

DSC_0580.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

100_0964.jpg

100_0847.jpg

100_0405.jpg

patio005.jpg

steak003.jpg

2005211254.jpg

b190e6e8.jpg

ed7c8455.jpg

2005235708.jpg

2005211656.jpg

2004_0105Image0002.jpg

b9979823.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    good point about the sink
    fukahwee maine

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    hahaha, I love that last one. I call it the "Cujo" shot. :laugh:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    I remember several of the pictures. Thanks for putting them togather.
    The one in the water at the log is calender materal: outstanding.
    My best to Abes and you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• boston_stoker
    Options
    I will have to check what brand, but I believe I have NESCO as well. It works fine, although mine only has six trays or so instead of the million the Warrior's got.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Here ya go, fish...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5912487412723519389#

Damn, that is one beautiful animal!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Michael,

I couldn't open it. Please tell me it wasn't Ron Popiel! I did some looking today as well. Had no idea you could pay $400 for a home dehydrator. :ohmy:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Steven, now I'm insulted!! I would NEVER post a link to anything Ron Popiel has to offer! Honest!! :laugh: This is an AB one.

The link works for me, but here's another... the dehydrator segment starts at 4:24.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfI0NKl-Kq0

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That's great Michael!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    haha - no idea if it works, but AB don't usually make no junk. And the price is sure right!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    It's blocked in my Country on copyright grounds :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    hahaha. damned Canadians!! try searching for alton brown dehydrator.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
    Those are great pics, thanks for posting those...I laughed at the one with the bag on his head, everyone came over to my desk to see what I was laughing at.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I was on a bunch of Vegan sites today, apparently pressure cooking and dehyrating are way up on their list of boring things to do.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    I have a Excalibur with 5 trays. Seeing as you're a outdoorsman, I've made $10,000's worth of venison jerky with it. Several years ago on line, it was $170?. Also, easy clean up. Take trays out and wash them. Had very good ratings on dependability. Good looking dog and he's luck to have you.