Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woosday-Miss River

Options
TNmike
TNmike Posts: 643
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few views of the Mississippi River in Kentucky. The views are from a bluff near Columbus, KY where during the Civil War the Confederates place a large chain across the river to block river travel of the Union troops. Each link of the chain weighs 20 lb 5 oz.

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Very interesting, thanks for posting.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    That must have been one heck of a job back then. Thanks for sharing the pictures and a bit of history.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    That's something I did not know. Uh... just that one thing and now I know it.

By the way, I wonder if the center link had more tug on it than the links closest to the ends?

Spring "Weak Link" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Very Cool, TNmike. I love Civil War history and lore.

Saw something interesting this morning. Looking out of the office window, I spied a Cooper's Hawk chowing down on a little brown bird. He took his time, about 45 minutes, to eat his fill.

IMG_1590.jpg

After he finished, this was all that remained.

IMG_0002.jpg

We have 6 sunflower seed feeders for our array of winter birds and the Cooper's & Sharp Shinned Hawks do a good job keeping the population in check.

Here's evidence of just how popular our feeders are in this morning's new snow.

IMG_0014.jpg

Happy WoosDay!

john
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    This guy is keeping the doves in check with our 8 bird feeders in our back yard.
    Larry

2011-01-30001010.jpg
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    I wonder if your little Cooper's is my little Cooper's Southern cousin.
    Nice shot, Larry.

john
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I don't know.This guy is about 16" tall and kind of fat.LOL

Larry
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
    Spring has NOT sprung in Colorado yet...but we can still have fun...

IMG_7712.jpg

Have to winterize the vehicle so stop bothering me...I need to get this done before March...

IMG_7715.jpg
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    There is NO snow on the ground and the grass is green....Just got to ask, what makes for spring in your parts?
    I'll post a pic of the Mississippi, here, tomorrow.
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
    This is a couple pics from October...typically Spring arrives late March. Only a few weeks away! HOWEVER...living in CO can make you wonder. April is actually the snowiest month as far accumulation goes. I have seen it snow in June. And...just like a couple weeks ago we will have days in the 60's.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Texas wild flowers

Texasfest-5110261.jpg

Texasfest-5110254.jpg

Texasfest-5110244.jpg

Texasfest-5110246.jpg

Texasfest-5110226.jpg
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Very jealous of you and your weather.
    Have you ever lost plants to frost before?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BigGreenGregg
    Options
    Beli:

I truly admire your beautiful terraced yard, stone work, and plants. However, it appears your security is lax - in the photo of the mini, I can clearly see an intruder dressed in white attempting to steal offerings from the XL (not that I blame him) - time for an alarm!!! :laugh:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    What a fun day :)
    IMG_0202.jpg
    Made the crew some chili, hot dogs and pizza.
    IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpgIMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Nice!!! What lake are you on??
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Soooo....
    It ain't no where near spring here yet :ohmy: !!
    Here is a shot taken this afternoon on the way home from work.
    Temps. are really nice...High 20's, maybe 30.
    This is taken from the Vern Skalman Bridge over the Mississippi (about 80 miles as the crow flies from it's headwater at Lake Itasca), looking down stream (east) toward town with a great little island landmark!! This is just down steam from the "rapids" which are no longer as a damn has been there for about 110 years now....No matter we are Grand Rapids because of those long lost rapids.....
    YES!!! We are getting a bit of snow today, about 5 to 6 inches, so far, of really nice powder that will make the ski trails totally excellent :) .

P1010467.jpg