Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best ribs ever -- thanks TNW! [& a minor new trick]

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You know the old saying "if a little is good, a lot is better"? Well, yesterday I asked about the reason for foiling baby back ribs for an hour during the cook, and The Naked Whiz said it made them more tender. I figured, what the heck, he never steered me wrong before, so I foiled 'em for an hour and a half at the end of the cook.[p]Best ever -- falling off the bone tender. Here is a quick recap -- smeared 'em with a mix of yellow mustard, rub, and lots of chopped garlic. [Didn't even get to marinate them -- this was a last minute rib event.][p]Smoked 'em indirect [fire bricks under a drip pan] for three hours at 250. [Oak smoke. Hickory would be better, but oak is all I had.] Then wrapped 'em in foil, still indirect, for 90 more minutes. Brushed on a little ordinary commercial bbq sauce at the last minute -- could not even put them back on the grill to get crispier because they were falling apart. [That's the minor new trick -- 90 min in foil, without putting them back on the grill.] Internal temp was about 160, in case you are keeping score.[p]Rave reviews from some serious rib eaters. Six folks ate up nine pounds of ribs. Real easy, too.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    You are welcome. It should be noted, however, that many folks think that fall off the bone tender is too tender, that you should need to pull the meat off with a little tug of the teeth. I foil mine about 1 hour so that they don't fall apart. However, of course, in the end it is whatever makes you and your guests happy, right? Glad you had such a great meal!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz