Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help from the Eggsperts

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry, but it's that kind of morning. I'm going to be doing a pork butt (or picnic, not sure which) next weekend. Trying to decide whether to go bone in or not. I usually go with the bone, but my butcher suggested I try it boned. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    goldencoop,
    As I've posted before, my family isn't interested in butts any more. They didn't have any butts when I went over to the market one time and the butcher asked what I was doing. I told him pulled pork. He suggested a picnic shoulder bone in. He said he liked it because there was more flavor and the texture was slightly silky (what ever that means). Now, all we do are shoulders, bone in. They've decided, and I concur. there is a difference. Try it. I leave the skin on and score it heavily. Put on our favorite Dizzy Pig Rub and go to it. Average shoulder we get is about 9 pounds and they cook at 250º to 200º internal. Wrap for an hour or two (I've held them in a cooler for as long as 5 hours) unwrap and pull. Good luck.

• goldencoop,[p]Bone in - always. It keeps things together (meat and moisture) during the smoke and falls out when done. Plus, it’s got to be cheaper – less work for the butcher.[p]I smoked a bone-in butt yesterday - $0.99 a pound – you’ve got to love that. I just had some with my eggs for breakfast - a nice way to start the day.[p]OctoberGlory
  • Sundown,[p]good to know. thanks for the help.
  • Sundown,[p]good to know. thanks for the help.
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    goldencoop,[p]You're butcher needs to be hit upside the head with a cows leg bone or somethin..sheeshwillikers..what is that boyt thinkin? Most of the time all I can get is boneless butts and although I'll cook them..and they're alright..whenever I DO get lucky and get a bone in butt...I buy that prized puppy..and a coupla extra pairs of pants..cause there's gonna be some organisms that night my friend...I'm tellin you..there's jus no comparison in my book..so unless you got only one set of pants...cook a bone in and count your blessins...[p]StumpBaby..in pain again in Peterborough..but dreamin of bone-in butts anyways..

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    geez, that big old hump back of your causing trouble again??. .. i sure hope its just a minor setback and nothing more serious. .. maybe part of the problem is that you've been gettin the wrong kinda therapy, or therapist. . .when the doc said to have one of them there back walkin folks walk on your back, he was refering to those little light weight oriental girls. . .not some side show girl from the circus that weighs 479 pounds!!! . . . [p]hope you're feelin better[p]max

• Jawjajoe
    Options
    StumpBaby,[p]Sorry to hear(?) that your back is acting up again. Hope that you are up and stumping again soon.[p]Joe
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    goldencoop, I agree with Sundown on the bone-in picnic being the best choice for pulling. (I put one on at midnight BTW) They seem to have a little different txture than the butt. Ever heard the old saying "The closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat"? Don't know why it's true, but it is.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Morning Sundown,
    I tried your suggestion a couple of weeks ago of using a picnic instead a butt for pulled pork. It turned out to be the best I've made in 2 years.
    Thanks,
    bruce

• StumpBaby, that might be the key Stump, just keep on dreamin bout them teguila sunrises and bone in butts and such as that and your mind won't have time for the pain...uh, huh...nature boys got me on and oldie trip..."I Haven't Got Time For The Pain" what was that song about anyway?[p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome, O.K. Max, I gotta hand it to ya that's gotta be one of your best (you sure your Jewish) anyway I hope the Stump is hearing us and his mind is off what's bothering him now.