Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This may be a worlds record....

Options
Elder Ward
Elder Ward Posts: 330
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This weekend we went on our annual church campout at Santa Yenez group camp ground. Unloaded the Large Egg and loaded it up with 14.7 pounds of pork shoulder for some pulled pork. At 2:00 pm Friday I loaded it with Mesquite lump to within three inches of the grill. This was hugh lump. Logs and limbs cut up. Yes I used my large to small method. This was the bottom of a forty pound bag. I must have had a good 10+ pounds in there. At 2:00 Saturday(24 hours later) I pulled the pork and the people next to me forgot their charcoal so I grilled their burgers and hot dogs. Then at 7:00 pm I loaded up 12 lbs of brisket flats for Sundays supper which I pulled off at 6:00 am Sunday morning(40 hours total so far). Then I grilled Italian breakfast sausage and hot links for Breakfast while frying bacon on the gas camp stove. The Egg idle at around 250 until noon when I grilled 12 Price club burgers that weight in around 3/4 lb each. Later around 6 pm while we were eating Elder Wards brisket the neighbors cooked 2 pork chops and a 12 inch trout that a 5 year old girl caught. At 10 pm when I hit the sack It was still hot(56 hours). Sometime during the night the egg went cold. This morning at 6 am
Monday I grilled the rest of the sausage and hot links then opened the bottom vent all the way and removed Miss Daisy to get rid of the rest of the lump. I needed the space to pack the accessories inside.
At 12 noon I finally put out the last of the coals there might have been a cup full left. That was 62 hours of documented burn time during which it never got below 250* and 8 hours that I am not sure when it really went out. If I had not been short on time and blasted the rest this morning there is no telling how long it would have burnt. I have never got this lenght of burn time with anything other than lump Mesquit. The last and prior personal record was just 36 hours. [p]If you got smoke em and smoke em and smoke em,[p]Elder Ward

Comments

• The Colonel
    The Colonel Posts: 87
    Options
    Elder Ward, You should have called, I would have flown out from North Carolina and cooked up some pork chops. Whew, That must have been a good time watching the hours pass and the egg cookin.
    yours in the eeeeeeeegggggggggg-=-The Colonel

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    Where do you find lump like that!
    Here in the east we are lucky to get stuff the size of your fist every so often.
    BTW, I did my first pulled pork following your method this weekend and all I can say is WOW! Thanks.
    Carey

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Elder Ward,[p]Congrats on the awesome hang time EW. Its a testament to your method of separating the lump into three sizes, it really does work. Good eats to top it all off. [p]Troy
  • Elder Ward
    Options
    The Colonel,[p]Yeah, it was hard to believe. You would have been welcomed and we did have great fun.[p]Elder Ward

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Sundown,[p]It is called California Mesquite (s) I'll check out the address for you. I buy it a hole in the wall feed and seed store. [p]Glad your PP came out well. It is a lot of fun.[p]If you got em smoke em,[p]Elder Ward

• AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    Congrats on a cook that will be hard to top. Wanted to say thanks for your help. Used your method of fire building three times, and although I know it will eventually happen, have never had fear of a fire going out over night. The last time I didn't actually sort the lump, but did try to pick bigger pieces first. I opened a brand new 10lb bag of lump and put 9lbs in Mr. Humpty(twice as much as I can get just dumping the lump in). People wouldn't believe how much lump was left after 24 hours..it looked like I could easily cook another 24.[p]Also wrapped a butt and brisket and placed them in a cooler. They were wonderful. A lot of people don't want to "bother" with your method, but I can't see a reason to argue with success.[p]Thanks, TR

• Elder Ward
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Thanks, your right was a lot of good eats.[p]Elder Ward
  • Elder Ward
    Options
    AbqEgg'r,[p]That is great to hear. Glad your times have improved. The great thing about life is you can pretty much do as you please, it doesn't bother me if people shrug off what I share. Mine is not the only method, all work to some degree.[p]What did you mean about wrapping the brisket and pork together? were they cooked at the same time and the juices co-mingled or seperately cook and seperatly wrapped? Give us a little more detail.[p]If you got em smoke em,[p]Elder Ward
  • AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    Sorry, they were cooked separately..one was done on Sunday and the other on Monday. I just used your method of wrapping them in foil, towels, and then into the cooler. I used this method on the butt because it had stalled out at 174 degrees and I wrapped it to let it "finish".[p]TR