Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasting garlic???

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just noticed my niece who I'm staying with has some garlic heads in the fridge, I myself don't eat much of it but would like to try roasting some for Her. LOL
Should I cut a small portion of the stem end off??? Is it O.K. to use a veggie pan with the holes in it for the garlic???? Should anything be put on them???? Indirect or direct, wood or not??? [p]Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• trout16
    trout16 Posts: 60
    Options
    New Bob,
    indirect, wood is not necessary except to taste, and drizzle some EVOO on it (very important lol)

• Bordello
    Options
    trout16,
    Thanks,
    Temp,time,how much evoo??? just a light coating??[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    video.msn.com
    <p />New Bob,[p]Funny you should mention it. I just watched a video on that this morning. Go to the link below then in the left menu bar click home and Living . then click Food Network. Then over in the right look for the Grilled Steak video. They roast Garlic for some butter for the steak
  • trout16
    trout16 Posts: 60
    Options
    New Bob,
    vegetables are not my forte lol, keep an eye on it I would say in the past best I can remember no more than 350 for like an hour (which is probably too long)or when they start to turn a light brown and are "squishy", good luck sorry I am not much for time/ temp w/ vegetables thats the wife's dept lol

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    haywyre,[p]Link
    [ul][li]http://video.msn.com[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Options
    haywyre,
    Got it, always better to see someone do it. Man, did you see the size of that one steak, a meal in itself. LOL[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    trout16,
    Thanks, it will be fine. A little trial and error. HeeHeeheee[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I usually roast garlic by cutting off the top 1/4 of the bulb, drizzle with olive oil, and season with a little salt. I've done them at anywhere from 300-375 for 45 to 60 minutes. What you will be looking for in the end is a nutty brown carmelization on the cloves. They should be soft and will slide right out of the bulb, but be sure to let the garlic cool a bit before handling. I don't use any smoking wood, because what I want is the sweet roasted garlic flavor. [p]Hope this helps.[p]Paul[p]

• Bordello
    Options
    PapaQ,
    What is the best way to store as these will be for my niece so they are used slowly because I very seldom use it.
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I usually only do one bulb at a time, so I haven't had a storage problem. My guess, though, is that if you have a Food Saver, they would do well frozen for quite some time. Also, I think they would survive for a couple of weeks at a time in a Food Saver canister in the refrigerator. Maybe someone else with experience will chime in here.[p]Paul

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    New Bob,
    ive only roasted small qty for immediate use, but i think you could squeeze them into a jar an cover with olive oil

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • emjazz1
    Options
    To store garlic: just put the garlic bulbs whole in a mesh cloth bag, like the peanut bags in the produce section.
    Hang on a cabinet door in the kitchen.
    They will keep this way for 6 months unless you are in a humid climate. Works here in Kansas. I store about 5 lbs. of them every year.
    To roast garlic, if you are cooking a roast beef or roast pork, just cut a slit in the top of the meat large enough to hold a skinned clove, I put about 20 in a 4 lb. pork roast. When the roast is done, it and they will be scrumptious. If you want, you can throw extra cloves on top on your roast, they will be glazed and wonderful.
    Yes, I love garlic!

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    PapaQ,
    I store them in a glass jar with olive oil in the fridge. They can last up to a few weeks. We generally eat them before too long. I guess you an also store the roasted garlic in food saver bags, but I suggest you freeze the roasted cloves (spread out on a cookie cheet or something flat) first before sucking the air out. I imagine you will end up with a mushed roasted garlic ball if you suck the air out prior to freezing the roasted cloves. My $.02 Joe