Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deer

jeffy
jeffy Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just put this deer ham on...

Any suggestions what to do with this thing?

mbs41t.jpg

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I like to marinate in whatever my mood is, usually Italian Salad Dressing and other items and cover with thick bacon.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=650437&catid=1
  • jeffy
    Well...too late for that..thanks for the suggestion though. :lol:
  • jeffy
    After a bit of internet research, I think I will smoke to around 110 and then put in a roasting pan, add some liquid & cover with foil till done....
  • Marinate is always a great way to start. If you are going to smoke it at a low temp. Might try and inject some liquid into the deer ham. I think that I see a steamer pan, put liquid in it and keep on smoking.
  • jeffy
    Good idea. Thanks
  • it depends if there's bunch of folks there..... i cook it at low heat.... leave a big knife and some plates around.... let folks cut off the meat as it cooks.... when they cut some off .... have 'em slather some bbq sauce. over the spot where they cut off some slices.....( flip the roast once in awhile).. this way you just keep eating it and cooking at the same time.... it'll be nice and moist.... other wise if you try to cook the whole thing.... the outside will be like a boot and the inside will be raw.... just keep whittling away at it slowly.... serve with some nice bread....( and lotsa beer).. you'll be a hero..... we have been doing it this way in PA.... since the cavemen....lol....hope that helps....i'd get rid of the drip pan an go raised direct..you want the charcoal taste...ray
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Hu :laugh: mmm...personally I would eat it... :laugh: :laugh: :blink: :blink: :blink:
  • jeffy
    ranger ray wrote:
    it depends if there's bunch of folks there..... i cook it at low heat.... leave a big knife and some plates around.... let folks cut off the meat as it cooks.... when they cut some off .... have 'em slather some bbq sauce. over the spot where they cut off some slices.....( flip the roast once in awhile).. this way you just keep eating it and cooking at the same time.... it'll be nice and moist.... other wise if you try to cook the whole thing.... the outside will be like a boot and the inside will be raw.... just keep whittling away at it slowly.... serve with some nice bread....( and lotsa beer).. you'll be a hero..... we have been doing it this way in PA.... since the cavemen....lol....hope that helps....i'd get rid of the drip pan an go raised direct..you want the charcoal taste...ray

Thanks, that's how we pretty much ended up with it. Caveman style hunks direct off the grill. It was a bit dry, but very good. Leftovers in chili...