Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of adding to the Egg Family

madmike
madmike Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yep the time has come to add another Egg to the family and not sure what to go with?

This will be to bring to my camp and I will be bringing it back home in the winter

I was thinking a mini but I think I might regret the size..so I think I'll go with a small so who here has a small? Do u use the eggnest or did you build a table for it . Show me your biggest cook also so I can get an idea.

Thanks
Mike :woohoo:

Comments

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    We cook on both an Mini and an XL. There is a place and time for each. I am thinking of getting a large and building a carrier for the back of the truck, I know BGE just developed a product that I was considering making. :) I have had All the sizes except the medium.
  • I think the small would best fit your needs. It's not too heavy for portability, yet give more surface area than the mini.
    I'm planning on building a transport table like some of the ones I have seen on here, one that flips upside down and serves as a table to get the small up to a good working level.
  • I have a small that I take camping. I use one of the transporters shown on wessb's site. I use the nest once I get to my destination. The small has all of the options of the larger eggs (platesetter,ci grills etc.) I have a platesetter and I also have chubby's gratemates. I have done low and slows, pork butts, and high temp steaks, pizza and cido cooks. The small is versatal, but if you are only going to be moving it spring and fall, and are going to cook for more than two people, I would opt for a medium, more surface area.
    I do not own a mini, however, I do not think that I would want only a mini at my disposal.
    HTH
  • haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    I am looking at something like this
    HitchSideShot.jpg
  • madmike
    madmike Posts: 103
    Misippi Egger wrote:
    I think the small would best fit your needs. It's not too heavy for portability, yet give more surface area than the mini.
    I'm planning on building a transport table like some of the ones I have seen on here, one that flips upside down and serves as a table to get the small up to a good working level.

I'd like to see that table ....ya got a link?
  •  
    I really like the mini for my wife and I and maybe 1 to 2 grand kids. I probably would not want it for an only egg as the max cook time without reloading the lump is about 4 hours. Reloading the lump always makes me smile. About 1 to 2 handfuls of lump does the job. The mini lights quick and does a great job.

There is not a lot of distance between the lump bed and the cooking surface but with tjv's mini woo it is a real workable egg.

The small, I love it in the nest. I don't use it much at all, if I decide to keep it one of the first accessories w/o question would be GrateMates.

The medium is a good egg but other than weight I would get a Large or second large.

My favorite egg is the large. Doing it all over again rather having a L, M, S & Mini I would get a large, then mini and then maybe a second large or possibly an XL rather than a second L.

That's my 2¢

GG
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Check the "tips" section of my website below...
  • I like the small personally. I would say to get the mini if you already have the small. The mini is mostly a grill, although others make it a smoker by doing low and slow on it (I havent yet, I just grill on my mini). The small already does it, and its easy to do. I have a chicken on my small right now, cant wait until its done. Garlic parmesan spread all over it:

409bf627.jpg
  • Here's one:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=963362&catid=1

Adam (Ripnem) has a nice one, but dont have a link to it handy. Find him with a Member Search for Ripnem and email him. I'm sure he would be glad to send pics.
  • Now that is what every egg household needs.
  • they have it available it retails for twelve houndred. way to much!! i also am adding another egg to family. i have xlarge , large , and getting another large..
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Mike I have a Large, Small, and Mini.
    Use the mini the most and next the large. Small not very much and it was my first egg.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The small is awesome, I have two of them and take them tailgating.

Travel Mode:

TravelMode.jpg

Cooking Mode:

CookingMode.jpg

Here is an entire loin on the small

RawPorkLoin.jpg

MeatonGrill.jpg
  • Mike, I have added to my Egg Family 5 times!!

I bought the mini without ever seeing a small, and used it alot, ALOT! Then I purchased a used small, and since then, I have only used the mini once. I should have got the small in the first place. It fits more than double the food that the mini does.

The small is still easily transportable, more so if you remove the innards.
    Good luck to you.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Nice transporting table!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I haven't read any of the other replies but my vote is for the small over the mini - There's just the two of us most times and of my eggs my small is my go to egg for 60% of all my cooks - it's the one size I'll never be without!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a large and would have gotten a small as a second egg as I think they are portable enough and hold more than the mini. However, so far anyway, the only reason I need portability is for Thanksgiving turkey at Mom's. And the small is too small for that, so we still use her oven. :(

So, I decided that I would rather be able to cook indoors in the winter - and the only egg that fits in my fireplace is the mini. Oh, the small FITS, but it won't open! If not for the size of my fireplace, I would have gotten a small. Cooking for one or two most of the time, the mini is just fine though. And VERY portable!

4288784976_7f6ec45ac4_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut