Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE on the way!

Options
Skychief
Skychief Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My gas grill is in real bad shape so I ordered a large egg Friday. It should be here in a week. What accessories are a must have?[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Skychief,[p]First, a bunch of those aluminum cooking pans and several rolls of aluminum foil. They are used for everything.[p]The platesetter is a must (around $35 bucks). No question. A wireless digital thermometer is also a nice thing to have, and there's a nice one that's been seen at overstock.com for 39.95 and has two probes: one for the meat and one for the dome. While the parafin lighting cubes are fine, many folks use a MAPP torch ($39 for the igniter and first tank and replacement tanks are six bucks and last months). We also use our grid extender quite a bit (17.95 or so) and the last thing I'd say you'll want fairly soon is a vacuum sealer. We use ours a lot, but the biggest value to us is that we buy meat in bulk and freeze it. Yesterday, I bought a whole choice ribeye for $5.74 / pound, cut 11 steaks and vacuum sealed and froze them. They'll be good for months and I saved a trainload over buying steaks out of the case at three times that price.[p]Others will offer more stuff you'll need, but this stash will get you started.
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Skychief,[p]lots of meat(thick steaks should be the first meal)
    fire starter(green goo works pretty well)
    lump(less than 40 lbs is not worth picking up)
    lots of paper(to print recipes)
    raised grid(i just shipped a couple prototypes)[p]indirect cooks will soon be on your list of things to try, i've made do with a pizza stone and a drip pan for the last year. i've wasted some money on unnecessary gear, look at the pictures on what othe people post and how they rig it to see what you really need.[p]Scott[p]

• Dr_Redwine
    Options
    Skychief,
    Welding gloves are nice to have and an ash cleaning tool is a must. You also may want to get a cover as well.
    DrR

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Mark Backer, You only forgot the "wiggle rod". An absolutely must have Egg tool. ;>)
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    What about Dizzy Pig and Lawn Ranger Tools?

• disabledBGEWDE
    Options
    Skychief,
    Everyone is giving you great suggestions. but they are fogetting something very important. The Digital Camera that you will need to share the pictures of the wonderful meals that you will be cooking. I never thought in a million years that I would be outside cooking on my egg and taking pictures while the neighbors stare at me with blank looks on thier faces, as they get the children out of the yard.

• toomanybbqgrls
    Options
    Skychief,
    In my personal opinion, the first thing you should do is build yourself a table to sit the egg in. The nakedwhiz site has some examples. I have heard too many stories of people rolling it along in the nest-then humpty falls over and breaks. After that, you need to seriously start thinking about a companion for it.

• Mark Backer
    Options
    sigmore,[p]I haven't finished my for-the-web infomercial for the backer wiggler. Then I was gonna set the hook and go...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    toomanybbqgrls, thanks for the opportunity to throw in the hint that if you're using a nest to learn to always PULL your BGE - never PUSH it. That way if a wheel hits an obstruction it will fall toward you instead of away from you.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]I was trying not to scare the man. The funny thing is that folks go thru all of this deep thought to decide if they can afford the egg, then they spend twice the cost of the egg on accessories, construction, freezers, etc.[p]It's the peripheral's that'll kill ya I say...[p]LOL[p]p.s. new guy, check out www.dizzypigbbq.com (raging river and tsunami spin are my favorites) and lawnrangerbbq.com (they are works of art).
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    BGEWDE,[p]LOL WDE. I just finished shooting my ribs whilst my cute daughter and our friends' cute daughter played and danced and sang.[p]But hey, the ribs look great!!! (Posting of pictures to follow).
  • Sigmore
    Options
    Mark Backer, Sorry I spoke too soon. You can use me as a satisfied customer if you really want to set the drag on that big reel in.

• Sigmore
    Options
    RRP, Eggscellent recomendation! Done heard a couple of them stories in the last couple of months.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    eggtable.jpg
    <p />toomanybbqgrls,[p]I'll second or third that, a nice table was the first real accessory that i got/made. wouldn't even consider using a nest once you got a table.[p]Walllllaaaa[p]my second picture post

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    table.jpg
    <p />Skychief,
    Build a table.
    I staeted building my table right after my BGE order was confirmed.
    Besides, where else would you put your bottle opener?

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]I have searched on overstock.com for this thermometer that you referenced. Think you can send me more info as to where precisely on overstock it is?