Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Best steaks ever

MatDrumsMatDrums Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We had great steaks last weekend for the family dinner. The meat was from La Queue de Cheval, one of the best steakhouses in Montreal. They call this cut Lou's Cut. 2 inches thick!

IMG_2698.jpg

I put them on the Egg at 600 for about 3 minutes a side, pulled out, shut the vents, let the Egg get down to 400 and put them back on for about 5 minutes.

IMG_2701.jpg

Rubed with the mix they gave us with the meat, they were the best steaks I ever cooked.

IMG_2702mod.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the pics, I was too busy eating!
·

Comments

• Those look really nice.
    ·
  • That looks mighty fine! Good job!
    ·
  • Fantastic. Those sure look like they would be U.S. Prime. I guess in Canada you don't have the silly government restrictions on selling the best beef to the general public.
    ·
  • They look awesome :woohoo:

Memphis, can you expound on the "general public" comment for me? As a neophyte, I'm curious.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,766
    Ho Hum. Another perfect steak on the egg. Big deal. :laugh:

Those look awesome, my friend! Wish I could find steaks that look that good around here! The ones I DO find are pretty tasty, but that looks over the top!!
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • Because such a limited quantity of beef gets graded by the USDA as prime the steakhouses are able to buy almost all the available inventory. You will occasionally get lucky and a specialty chain (whole foods, Fresh Market, etc) can get their hands on the prime beef. Of course if you are fortunate to have a high end specialty retailer near where you live you may also have access. I have heard this practice of funneling the prime beef to restaurants dates back to years and years ago to the restaurant lobby. They did not want you to be able to cook as good of a steak at home. Luckily a steak restaurant in town does sell its prime cuts where I live but the price is very high.
    ·
  • fire eggerfire egger Posts: 1,124
    Those steaks are absolutely beautiful, and it looks like you did an eggcellant job!!
    ·
  • Nice job! That second picture is probably the best picture of a steak that I have seen. Now I'm hungry again.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Nice thick cut 2 inch flipping steaks. I bet you'll go back and get more steaks. Great job on them. :P
    ·
  • fieroguyfieroguy Posts: 777
    Hey MatDrums - Dem things are beautimus!
    ·
  • XLentEGGXLentEGG Posts: 204
    WOW !! The spinach looks great too!
    Yes, this is the biggest one they make.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,815
    Wow. I agree- that second picture belongs on a magazine cover. The rub sure looks interesting. I love the way it blackened up. The marbling in that beef looks crazy good. Nice work!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,028
    You got a winner. Wow.....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,665
    I've got a lot of butcher choices around here but those beauties brought a tear to my eyes
    ·
  • They sure look great!
    ·
  • Now that is a steak! :)

Gorgeous marbling and you did them justice with your cook.
    ·
  • Thanks for the replies! It was a stressfuk cook, that is for shure. 7 huge steaks to feed 10 people, on a medium egg, it is not an easy task to manage. Especially in the snow at -10 !

We were celebrating 3 birthdays that night so it was worth the effort.

Close up of a bite :woohoo:

IMG_2707mod.jpg
    ·
  • MemphisQue wrote:
    Because such a limited quantity of beef gets graded by the USDA as prime the steakhouses are able to buy almost all the available inventory. You will occasionally get lucky and a specialty chain (whole foods, Fresh Market, etc) can get their hands on the prime beef. Of course if you are fortunate to have a high end specialty retailer near where you live you may also have access. I have heard this practice of funneling the prime beef to restaurants dates back to years and years ago to the restaurant lobby. They did not want you to be able to cook as good of a steak at home. Luckily a steak restaurant in town does sell its prime cuts where I live but the price is very high.

Didn't know this, so thanks for the info. Looks like I will be hitting the Whole Foods right next to my house, ha.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Looks PURRRRFECT to me.Job well done! ;)
    ·
  • rsmdalersmdale Posts: 2,472
    I can cook a steak-And that is a perfectly cooked piece of Beef!! You did a great job with a nice cut!!

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Folk's Folly????? :whistle:
    ·
  • WeberWho?WeberWho? Posts: 1,453
    Was looking foward to my No Name Steaks this weekend. Not so much anymore.
    ·
  • EggSimonEggSimon Posts: 422
    indeed, this was one of the beast marblings I´ve ever seen...

And also good cooked :)
    ·
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Nice looking steaks
    Great thing about cooking on the Egg
    You start having a lot of "best ever...." :)

Shane
    ·
  • Absolutely...have you been there? I live just down the street from the store.
    ·
  • Confirmation of a great cook.
    ·
  • NC-CDNNC-CDN Posts: 703
    That looks great. That spinach does too. Yum. Wish I could snag some steaks like that without giving away my first born. He's much to cute to trade for steak. :laugh:
    ·
  • I have a medium Egg also, and believe me, I will never cook steaks on a gez grill, NEVER!

Mike ;)
    Bon appétit !!
    ·