Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sel rose ?

Options
jemrx
jemrx Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked this up last week down in the Turks and Caicos. I thought I was buying pink sea salt, turns out it is a mixture of sodium chloride and potassium nitrite. Just wondering if anyone has any experience using thisCIMG2620.jpg

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    A great example in why to have caution when consuming something if you can't read the label.

You probably have potassium nitrate there, not nitrite. Salt petre (or in this case, a mixture of salt and salt petre). Curing salt, not eating salt.

If it were potassium nitrite, it would be toxic, if ingested. Potassium nitrate isn't as dangerous, but it's not intended to be eaten as-is.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Sel Rose is known most commonly in the US a "pink salts". It is used for curing meats/sausage, etc. Do not try to use this like a regular salt! Do a google search of Sel Rose...you will get numerous websites explaining.
    Looks like it's time for you to try your hand at home curing some meats! :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    that's NOT salt with nitrite for curing. if you read their website and ingredient info, it is salt plus beet juice for color, and is intended for use in sausages for making them pink. that is not the same as 'pink salts", which contain nitrite and turn the meat pink in a way different than simply dying it.

you essentially have nothing more than colored table salt. and yours is colored intensely enough to color sausages (in fact, to make them look almost as they would if cured)

see: http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/mdc/l/fr/boutique/produits/met-sel_rose.html

and note the ingredients; "Rougisseur salt that goes into making sausage or other preparations that you want to make a more intense pink color.

Ingredients: salt, dextrose (wheat), anti-oxidant E300 E301 (1.65%), betanin E162, E120 dye."

there are other salts that are pink, too. "pink himalayan salt" is itself naturally pink, but also does not contain nitrite.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    that's not curing salt.... the ingredients are salt, dyes, and antioxidants, plus wheat starch to keep it from sticking (like cornstarch would).

they may be confusing things with their naming of the product, but in this case, it's not curing salt.

he's simply got colored salt.
  • stike
    Options
    ???????
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    very eeenteresting... good catch
  • jemrx
    jemrx Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks for clearing up the nitrite issue....so I quess this can be used like regular salt
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Saw your post and decided to google it...can't come up with a website for this manufacturer that isn't in french. :blink: Good catch! I must say it's a bit misleading, especially with Sel Rouge being a term used interchangably for pink (curing) salts. Interesting product! Did you find that when researching for the beeted salmon cure?
  • stike
    Options
    wasn't a catch. i just actually looked into it. seems to be a novel thing around here.
    hahahaha :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    it is regular salt. just colored. at least that's what the manufacturer's site says

if you run firefox, it will translate for you

again though, double check the ingredients. you have it in your hands. just google the ingredients. but from what their ingredient list says, that particular product lists no nitrite