Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Chuck on the Egg (updated pics)

GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
edited 12:44PM in EggHead Forum
So starting tonight we are expecting some bad weather here in Dallas. Nothing like the rest of the country has seen this winter, but people down here can't drive in rain and sleet and snow. So as much time as i have accumulated here at work I decided to take the day off to avoid the crazies on the road and try my hand at a chuckie. Think it was just short of 4 pounds. Maybe 3.9lbs.

So I read up on some different forums and this is what I think my plan is going to be. Seems like 250 is the way to go till it hits 160, then foil till it hits either 200 or 205? Do I need to add some liquid when I foil it? Any basic guideline on how long it generally takes per pound? Just trying to figure out when I need to get it started to have it done in time for dinner.

Don't worry, I'll post pics. Got nothing else to do tomorrow except watch some movies and sip on a bloody mary or two.

Wish me luck.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·

Comments

• ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,744
    Can I ask a newbie question what is a Chcuk?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • fire eggerfire egger Posts: 1,124
    Jaso, I think if you allow 45-60 min per pound youll be ok,you can always wrap it in a towel and put it in a cooler, it will hold qite a while.
    ·
  • It's the same as a chuck roast, only the u and the c are reversed.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    Sorry, I'm a little dyslexic. Meant Chuck. Also don't know why this double posted.

Richardson, Texas

·
    Well it went on a little later than expected but 10:45 is ok by me.

P1020401.jpg

Richardson, Texas

·
    7 hours in and about to be foiled

P1020402.jpg

Richardson, Texas

·
  • Not sure if you've had it before, but you are in for a mighty good meal. Pictures look perfect.
    ·
    Nope, first time. We are getting super eggcited. We are gonna do tacos though, not the regular sammis.

Richardson, Texas

·
  • Jason, Chuck is lookin good! :)
    ·
    Sorry I didn't post up the final pics last night. Started watching a movie and just didn't get around to it.

So here is a pic of the beef after it had been pulled and the juice had been added back to it. Didn't seem like it got much of a smoke ring to it, although it had plenty of smokey flavor.

P1020404.jpg

Here's the final picture. Pulled beef tacos with some onions, diced japs and some cheese. Notice the nice fresh asparagus from the Farmer's Market?

P1020405.jpg

All in all a pretty tasty meal and a good way to spend a snow day. Think I'll go make me some breakfast tacos with the leftovers.

Richardson, Texas

·
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Nice job
    Tacos look tasty.
    Thanks for the pics

Shane
    ·