Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Can an Egg freeze shut???

andy_bandy_b Posts: 77
edited 6:10AM in EggHead Forum
I have owned my Egg for almost 5 years now with no issues.

My last cook was about 7 weeks ago before the storms hit the north east. That particular cook was only at 350.

After that cook we got 7652 inches of snow :)

I finally dug out the deck this week and was not able to open my egg.

Can an Egg freeze shut?

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,521
    Yeah, it's not uncommon when out in the elements. If you have some unburned charcoal in it, light from below (through bottom vent) with a propane torch or firestarter.
    Cheers!'Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    I don't know. I live in San Jose,California ;) Actually I have heard that they can.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • HubHub Posts: 658
    Mine froze shut once after a very cold night. I just lit a starter cube and dropped it in from the upper vent. It took about ten minutes or so, and the lid opened right up!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,909
    Mine just froze shut a few weeks ago after a sleet/snow.
    I should have heated it up first, but instead, I forced the lid up and ripped the lid gasket off! Time for a Rutland - once the temperature warms up.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• SGT BBQSGT BBQ Posts: 190
    The first couple years my BGE froze shot a couple times. I have since purchased BGE covers for my eggs and they have not been frozen shut yet. I know this doesnt help you now but it is a way to stop your BGE freezing shut in the future.
  • surveyorsurveyor Posts: 114
    Mine has frozen shut many times. 100 watt light bulb through the top works great also.
  • andy_bandy_b Posts: 77
    I should have mentioned in my first post that my Egg is always covered since the first day I bought it.
  • Just checked...mine not frozen shut...65* here today.
    :lol: B) :laugh: