Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone actually sort their Lump?

BigBadger
BigBadger Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gotta say how impressed I am with the Naked Whiz and his thorough Charcoal lump tests. But I'm curious after reading some posts, does anyone sort their lump?

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    When I was but a wee lad (okay a newbie) I sorted lump for about a year. Then Fidel came over one day and saw the bins and said "what the *%^*&$*%$"
    in a kind and gentle way that he has.. B);):)
    and I am proud to say I have been a lump dumper ever since.... :cheer: :lol: :silly:
  • Into 2 bins - Large pieces, all the rest. Helps me when I build the low and slow fires.Egg geek I guess.
  • BB,
    I am a lump dumper unless I am building a low & slow fire (overnight butt cook), then I will spread a kitchen garbage bag on my outdoor counter, dump out a bag of lump and sort before building the fire.

Normally, just stir out the ashes, move the used lump around evenly, light with my MAPP torch, then dump fresh lump on top once the old is burning good. Works great for me. :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    He does have that way about him. :laugh: I'm safe though... another lump dumper here.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    The very reason I own a wiggle rod. I dump my lump in the egg then light with a mapp torch. I then take my wiggle rod and poke up from the bottom through the lump grate it helps the air flow. Works great for me. Tim ;)
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Not me. But you'd be surprised the lengths some will go to make Egging a whole lot harder than it really is :)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Gandolf wrote:
    Not me. But you'd be surprised the lengths some will go to make Egging a whole lot harder than it really is :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    Nope. I dump it right from the bag into the BGE. I take a few of the largest pieces that come out and place them at the bottom of the pile.
  • When I load the Med., I will pull out the large pc. into a special bucket and save them for a very long cook on the lg. Other than that I'am just a dumper. :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    he doesn't sort for any other reason than to determine how much of a bag is chips and powder.

no one, except the anal retentive, would actually sort lump :laugh:

if i have nothing better to do when setting up for lo and slo, i might place bigger chunks on the bottom, but i mostly dump from the bag.

if i know i am doing a hot fast cook (like when we go tailgating), i'll bring a new bag, because the biggest chunks will almost always be on top, and they make for a hotter/quicker fire
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    i break up big pieces, snap it in my hands as i fill up the egg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i like to sort it by color. just dump and stir
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • With all the "butt" talk on this forum I suspect there are a lot of "anal retentives" lurking.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I used to sort my lump, but I got really annoyed at how long it took to get ready to cook something. Then I got a wiggle rod and stopped sorting. My fires are better now then the ever were.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I do but only when prepping for an overnight cook. The rest of the time I don't bother.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Fishlessman said: i like to sort it by color. just dump and stir ........
    I find myself in THAT camp :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lump dumper here as well. Although, truth be told, I used be a sorter. It would take me as long to build the pile of charcoal as it would to cook the butt! But, I found it quite therapeutic. Had an epiphany one day and said what am I doing?! :blink:

Been stirring and dumping ever since.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    YOU RANG???? I heard something about Butts. :silly: They always bring me out of the woodwork. :woohoo:

Then again there's something to be said for loins too. :whistle:

Cheers,
    Bordello
    On the hunt again.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I just dump, even for a low & slow. Never had a problem.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    While I have never sorted I have now and then picked a few large pieces if they were at the top of the lump in the bag and I had cleaned out the egg for a low and slow.

If no large pieces at the top of the bag I just dump till I get close to the bottom then I'm careful not to dump all the dust in with the lump.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    used to sort based on the elder ward method...then I read this forum and became a rump, ah I mean dump man.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I leave the bag outside on the lower level of my table. Sometimes it's covered, sometimes not. I pick up said bag and dump whatever comes out into the EGG. Sometimes it's had a bit of water, usually not. I put the lighting stuff in and prop a few of the larger pieces (I don't go digging) up on top of the lighter cubes. Leave it for a few minutes. Come back. Cook.

No sorting at all. For longer cooks I add more lump. Never had an issue. Works great.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    WGlump2.jpg

Of course the mini was the stage and the lump was from a bag of Wicked Good. There were three pieces like this one from the same bag.
  • BigBadger
    fishlessman wrote:
    i like to sort it by color. just dump and stir

Awesome!!! :laugh:
  • BigBadger
    Sundown wrote:
    Of course the mini was the stage and the lump was from a bag of Wicked Good. There were three pieces like this one from the same bag.

Too bad it's sold by weight and not by volume. No space filling dust there! :woohoo:
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    When I am doing low and slow I pick out some big pieces and place on the bottom, then dump. When I reach the end of the bag I will dump it in another bin and pick out what is useable and then dump the gravel and dust over my deck. In another year or so I will have that sink hole under my deck filled in.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Never seen a piece of lump that big. Don't think i'd want to get one that big in a bag.
  • The only sorting I do, is takingout hte pieces that are not fully carbonized and throw them in the woods.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• I do as well. used to do it only when I was doing a low n slow but now with the addition of my small I do put the smaller in a bin and use that on the Small.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Not with Wicked Good you're not. :laugh: I have to beat them with the claw end of a hammer.