Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just did my first cook and.....

Options
BossHawgOutlaw
BossHawgOutlaw Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have to say it was worth every penny. I kept it simple and just did some burgers and they were juicy and delicious.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Congrats on your first cook. :) Burgers are delicious on the egg. :P Keep coming back and post some pic's if you can. ;) Tim
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Cooked my first burgers today! They were delicious!

Be sure to share you techiques, that way us newbies can learn and the the oldbies can give advice!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Nothing like a good burger. Welcome.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You will find it gets better and better. Welcome to the cult :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Great, now you have all kinds of things to try. If in doubt come here and ask before the cook so you have the best of info.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Burgers are always good. I did some on Saturday.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Scott, As far as cooking hamburgers on my egg I get about 5 pounds of 80/20 hamburger and patty 5 or 6 up. I use a spider and cast iron (ci) food grid and get my egg stable (mostly get the bad smoke burned away)at 400F dome. Now my lump is burning just under the ci grid so I will be grilling my burgers at a much higher temp than the 400F dome temp. I would say more like 900F-1200F so this cook won't take long. I usually grill two burgers at a time.

If you consider your grilling area as having 4 sections I put a burger in the left and right further from your body sections for 1 to 2 min's with the dome closed.

Next I use a spatula and scoop up the burgers and with a quarter turn twist I place them in each of the sections closest to you for another 1 to 2 min's dome closed.

Next I flip the burgers back to the empty sections for 1 to 2 min's dome closed.

Next and lastly I place them with a twist close to you for 1 to 2 min's.

I then take them off and place them covered for 10 minutes. then eat :P

I never smush the burgers while grilling and I use the seasongs I like.

Keep in mind depending on the thickness of your burgers. You should get them to around 150F to 160F internal temp.

Any way you do them won't be wrong unless you turn them to black soot. :pinch:

If you think you like to try it the way I have described but, don't have a spider or ci grid no problem. Simply use what you got and get your lump burning just under the grid. Be careful you may have to tweak the timing. I would say cook one and see how it comes out for you then adjust the time. Have fun, Tim ;)
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thank you! I just bought a spider and CI grid, so I will try your method next time!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Al right. Hope you enjoy. Now I will tell you I did get a timer from thermaworks.com and it worked great for this application. You know we really don't need all the gadgets but, they are helpful. ;)

Call them and ask them if they will sell you both for $30. Who knows they might do it. I like them both.

I have this one.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/timers/extra_big_loud_timer.html

and this one

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/timers/rt104.html