Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can remote probe go into the thermometer hole?

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sometimes, I want the Egg to come up to temperature slowly, so I start it really low and let it rise. (Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think that the "slow rise" method means that more smoke can soak into the meat at a lower temperature.) But that means I have to run back and forth from the house to the back yard to check the temperature every few minutes. [p]What I'd like to do is stick the probe of my wireless remote thermometer into the hole in the dome where the ordinary thermometer usually goes. When the dome gets up to the desired temperature, the alarm on my remote will go off. At that time, I can then swap out the probe, reinsert the ordinary thermometer, and stick the probe into the meat.[p]Is this possible, or am I dreaming?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    when doing long overnight cooks i put the probe in the dome all night then in the morning it can be put in the meat to monitor its progress.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HolySmokes
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    Now you're really thinkin, Prof![p]That's exactly what I do, except my remote thermometer
    has two probes so one stays in the dome all the time.
    No reason you could'nt swap it out halfway through the
    cook.
    HS

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    I use the ET-73 REDI CHEK with two probes - one for the meat and one for the smoker. I stick the smoker probe through the daisy wheel. Works great, no more running back and forth. I just check the remote.
    Rich

• Smoke 'n Things
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    I also put my remote thermometer probe through a slot in the daisy wheel at the start of a long cook. It reads almost the same temp as the BGE thermometer. I use the temp low alarm during the night, so it will beep if the temp drops too low. Then in the morning, I wipe off the probe and insert it into the meat for the last part of the cook.