Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"bunching"

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in Off Topic
IMG_0317.jpg
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yep....and stretched tight it fits on a mini... ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I was gonna try that, but the UltraCopper doesn't seem to want to hold it in place long enough to set up without contracting back to it's original width. So I found some "rope" that's actually hollow - fit's perfectly without stretching or bunching.

4954399682_3dc99541d1_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    sorry to disagree with you, but a "bunched" braided gasket will stay in place. BTW the trouble with that rope you used means the bottom side stuck to the Permatex while the top half is allowed to move. Movement means friction which leads to wear which leads to broken fibers.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ron, when I laid the 5/8" tape on the mini, it was much too wide. Stretching it required so much force that I didn't see any way UltraCopper would have held it in place, unless I did 3" at a time and held it there while it set up. I didn't try it because I just didn't think it would work.

The rope does not move when I open the dome. It seemed to at first, though minimally, and I actually liked that. But after a few cooks, it flattened out and now looks just like the tape on my large. Dunno. In any case, if I ever have to replace it (do these things ever wear out?), I will use it again.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut