Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All things considered

Options
fletcherfam
fletcherfam Posts: 935
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
new to the forum here, don't have an egg yet but hope to get one in the near future. Located in Seattle area and thinking of getting a Large egg. What do they run about? I thought about waiting until the Seattle Eggfest in June however I would much rather to build a table than for the nest and tables, is it still worth it for the price? What else would be a good starter kit? Thanks for all your help.

JT

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    It is well worth it. I've got mine sitting on the patio, with kids and a used to be wild dog I didn't trust the stability of the nests.

A billy bar to clean the grid and a platesetter and you'll be good to go. You'll want a good instant read thermometer at some point too.

Eggfest prices are a discounted so your choice is pay more and cook sooner or wait and save money.

I'm not sure what current prices are but I'd guess your going to speend 800-1000 depending on the when and where you buy it.
  • BR-549
    BR-549 Posts: 48
    Options
    Go to Biggreenegg.com enter your zip code upper left hand corner to find stores near you.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Think of holding off on the platesitter and go to an Adjustable Rig with a spyder and stone from:
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/.
    I use this 90% and the platesitter 5%.
    PLEASE NOTE: No right way on this, they all work. Just some opt's......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• kmellecker
    Options
    Welcome to the Forum and your future purchase of an Egg. You certainly wont be sorry. My kids bought me my Large for Fathers Day a couple of years ago and they say its the best gift they have ever given and I agree 100%. The cost is well worth the investment. I have my Egg in a nest and have a separate table for tools/food etc and am quite comfortable with that. As for accessories, my everyday needs are a plate setter, Thermapen instant read thermometer, grill gripper, ash tool, heavy duty pot holder gloves and a wiggle rod. There are a lot more toys out there but the basics will do just fine for any cook you want to do. Good Luck and welcome aboard.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    So if I am looking to build a table how much should I budget about? It would be nice to go all out on it however it doesn't make much sense at this stage in life (work may be moving us and a have a baby and a toddler).

JT
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    You should be able to build a table for $300-$350....scroll down on this recent post and you will see my table. It is 6 ft long and was $350 to build including all materials.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1020078&catid=1
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have had mine for a month, there is a great dealer out in Issaquah if you are interested. I agree with the essentials listed here. I use the place setter for indirect, I just ordered a thermapen for accurate temp. reads, I use a 3 pronged weed tool as a gripper. However, I did just purchase the Cast Iron Grill for steaks. And I do have a pizza stone and the pizza was Eggcellent!

Oh, and here is a link to some table ideas:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    yea let me know the dealer info.

JT
  • smbishop
    Options
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Build a table if you can. If you get an eggfest egg and have the next laying around you can either sell it, use it for your 2nd egg which you will probably one day buy, or store it away until you take your egg camping or to the in-laws house or something like that.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    New to this forum so going to ask a dumb question (and not sure if it is appropriate), what did you pay for the egg?

JT
  • smbishop
    Options
    It was a Christmas present, I honestly don't know.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    $550 used on Craigslist for my large and a table, $500 for my demo small and a nest but it came with a platesetter and a bunch of other crap. Both were great deals.

Whatever you spend you will spend double that eventually on a second egg and/or eggcessories.

welcome to the madness!
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    Ain't that the truth. I bought a Large 5 months ago and with the nest, mates,place setter,lump, rib rack I spent 1K. Since then I bought a map torch, Thermo Pen, welders gloves, CI grid, and ......Oh yea bought a Small BGE 3 weeks ago.

I plan on building a table and I really debated about the nest vs. table but decided I could save the money and get other accessories