Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Why buy mayo?

Boilermaker BenBoilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Generally, my answer to that would be "because I don't like it". However, I was making chicken-in-a-pita sandwiches for dinner last night, and wanted to add a buffalo chicken option for our guests. So I whipped up a batch of mayo, substituting hot sauce for the acid component. It took 3 minutes, used only ingredients everyone should have at home (with the possible exception of lemon, if that's the acid you're using), and probably cost less than 50 cents for a little more than a cup of mayo.

Ruhlman's recipe
1 egg yolk (room temperature, preferably)
1 Tablespoon of water (or preferably 1 teaspoon of water, 2 teaspoons of an acid, like lemon juice)
1/2 teaspon of salt
whisk to combine then begin streaming in 1 cup of oil in a slow steady stream, while whisking constantly. That's it...really.

Sorry for the lack of pics. I was cooking for a crowd, and running late. The pitas were egged, and were wonderful. Chicken breast, butterflied, Dizzy Dust, direct grill over a bed of lava. All was received well, especially the buffalo mayo.

Comments