Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why buy mayo?

Options
Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Generally, my answer to that would be "because I don't like it". However, I was making chicken-in-a-pita sandwiches for dinner last night, and wanted to add a buffalo chicken option for our guests. So I whipped up a batch of mayo, substituting hot sauce for the acid component. It took 3 minutes, used only ingredients everyone should have at home (with the possible exception of lemon, if that's the acid you're using), and probably cost less than 50 cents for a little more than a cup of mayo.

Ruhlman's recipe
1 egg yolk (room temperature, preferably)
1 Tablespoon of water (or preferably 1 teaspoon of water, 2 teaspoons of an acid, like lemon juice)
1/2 teaspon of salt
whisk to combine then begin streaming in 1 cup of oil in a slow steady stream, while whisking constantly. That's it...really.

Sorry for the lack of pics. I was cooking for a crowd, and running late. The pitas were egged, and were wonderful. Chicken breast, butterflied, Dizzy Dust, direct grill over a bed of lava. All was received well, especially the buffalo mayo.

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I made aioli Saturday night, and thought the same thing, except I do like mayo. When the jar in the refrigerator is gone, that will be the last of the store bought mayo.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Definitely on my to try list... thanks!! Just added lemons to my shopping list. :) What kind of oil did you use? I just looked at the ingredients list on my jar of store bought and they use soybean oil.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Plain old vegetable oil is what I used. Mayo can be widely varied with different oils (like olive oil for aioli), acids, or by adding other ingredients (herbs, spices, aromatics, etc).
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks. Time to experiment!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lowercasebill
    Options
    or isn't there one?
    thanks
    bill
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Aioli is made with olive oil, and flavored with garlic. Egg is not always used as the emulsifier, sometimes mustard is used, and sometimes just the garlic. I suspect that aioli is just as varied as mayo is, but I think garlic is a defining ingredient. I could be wrong about that.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    bill,

Garlic and olive oil in aioli.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ben,

You are right about the emulsifier. Sometimes it is stale bread as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    garlic, i think. but i dunno
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    thanks for the education.
    i am thinking aioli on a blt with homemde bacon garden lettuce and tomato come summer
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    if you have a food processor or a blender they work great too. use the lowest setting. I like to whisk but for a first time the blender frees up your hands. and have every thing pre measured when it happens it happens fast!
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Oooh, man! That sounds good. As I learned it, the garlic is the difference. In fact, a lot of recipes simply have you mix garlic in mayonnaise and call it aoili.

I used 2/3 pure (not extra virgin) olive oil and 1/3 extra virgin. The EVOO gives more flavor, but might be a little over-powering and definitely more expensive if used alone. Let your egg set out at room temp for a few hours before you make it. Helps the emulsion come together.