Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did you light the egg yet?

Options
BBQR
BBQR Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OOPS,

FrozenEgg.jpg

Actually I was luck this time, the egg still opened.

A few weeks ago it was completely frozen shut. I place two fire starters down in the lower vent and took off the lid. The firestarters lit the remaining lump from the prior cook and twenty minutes later the lid opened.

I don't know what was going on with the sideways icicle in the lower left.

Comments

• WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Yikes! I have the day off and was hoping to do a cook, buts it's -10 here :( So I'm gonna have to pass!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I am so glad I live in Texas :ohmy:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    -10° is cold.... brrrr... on another note. Is that the Plastic spacer still on your hinge?

BGE%202011-01-17_083738.jpg
  • BBQR
    BBQR Posts: 68
    Options
    I leave them on for possible transport. Is that a no-no? Still has white tie wrap around it holding it in place too.
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Only a little skim ice here, tuff walking though!!

38dd6016.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Why would you need them for transport? They are to be removed, per assembly instructions. No idea what happens if you leave them on.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    Well they are only there to prevent the hinge from slapping open on the owner before final assembly. I suppose it's a good idea to have them handy in case you need to take off the lid/band. I would have thought they might melt on a good high heat pizza cook though. I have mine taped under the bottom of my table top in case I need to remove the lid.