Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Babyback or Center cut Ribs??

Options
Always Smokin
Always Smokin Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What ribs do you prefer?
I have only made Babyback ribs. Today I will try them both. Is there any difference when cooking?
IMG_6565.jpg

Comments

• Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    I think spare ribs have better flavor.

Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    They both say spare ribs?
    that was kinda my question there are 2 kinds in the pic
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Spare ribs taste different (better in my opinion) and will take 1-2 hours longer than the back ribs to get done. They have a higher amount of fat/connective tissue to break down.

Baby backs are from the area adjacent to the loin and often will have a little lean loin meat still attached. The spares come from the side/belly where bacon originates.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    http://www.theotherwhitemeat.com/

Description: Spareribs come from the belly of the hog and are known for their delicious, meaty pork flavor. These curved ribs are the least meaty variety of ribs, but the lean meat is still full of flavor. Spareribs are typically larger and heavier than back ribs.

Back RibsDescription: Back ribs originate from the blade and center section of the pork loin, which is known for the “finger meat” between the bones. Back ribs also are referred to as “baby” back ribs because they are smaller than spareribs. A rack typically weighs between 1 ½ and 1 ¾ pounds.

Hope this helps.