Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planning my second paella

Options
jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Riffing off several different recipes I've read and my own imagination I'm going to charge into my next paella. The current plan is to cut a duck into 10 pieces and coarse chop a rack of ribs. Brown all of that well and use some of the combined duck fat and pork fat to saute the veggies and make the sofrito.

From there, I'll probably stick pretty close to NW's guidelines...peppers, garlic, green beans and artichoke hearts.

Getting the fat rendered out of the duck without burning is going to be the tricky part, but from my first experience, things happen pretty gently in the paella pan. I think it will take a little longer than browning the chicken, but not a lot.

I'm looking for any thoughts or suggestions from the paella crowd.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I prefer frozen peas rather than beans. Spanish chorizo is a must in my paellas, not the mexican kind. When I use the drumettes of chicken wings I pre saute them and that might be the way to go with the duck. Duck thighs should be good if you can get them or the breasts. I also like fresh asparagus spears.
    The rest of the duck I would save for stock.
    Makes a great stock with some soy sauce for flavor and then make an oriental dish. You do have a wok, don't you??

This happens to be a seafood paella.

Plated-1.jpg
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Looks good, Richard.

I'm using a whole duck that I will section. Legs, thighs (maybe split across)and breasts (cross cut in thirds). Without doubt, the backbone and wings will go in the freezer for the next stockpot. I have several containers of stock in the freezer that I have to use up before I make more. That's one of the things I love about paella -- I have more stock made than I have uses for it! Paella is going to help me clean out the freezer.