Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen or Wireless Remote Thermometer?

Options
dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been enjoying my egg for a little over a month now and have cooked everything from turkey, bone-in pork chops, steak tenderloin, potatoes, burgers, chicken breasts, etc. I'm using an old Brookstone temperature fork which does pretty well on accuracy but takes forever to read. I'm doing my first overnight smoke of a butt this weekend and had thought about buying a wireless remote thermometer but about every review I've read has some serious drawbacks, inaccuracies and complaints of those things breaking easily. I then starting reading around these forums and came across the Thermapen which i then looked up reviews for and they are glowing.

So, should I just bite the bullet and buy a Thermapen and just forego the luxury of never opening my dome during a long smoke? I'm guessing the 3-5 seconds for a temp read on a long smoke is not that big of a deal but I'm new to this and really don't know the best way to proceed.

Thanks for the input.

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    New to this, but both are on my wish list..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    No matter what you decide or for whatever reason I really suggest getting a Thermapen. No bones about how good they are. PM forum memeber Mollyshark and maybe she can point you in the right direction.

As for the wireless, I have a Maverick ET-7 which works and doesn't. It is on it's last leg but I put it through it's paces. I am holding out to see how the Maverick 732 is.

I would suggest get a Thermapen and stop by Ikea and get there cheap probe thermometer. It is not wireless but you will not have to open the dome to see the meat temp. Or find one used on ebay/amazon/craigslist for the time being.

Moral of this story...Get a Thermapen...you will be pissed everyday you did not have one.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    They are both designed for 2 different purposes..the remotes "are" for the most part...disposable...a thermapen will last forever..but is an instant read thermometer, checking doneness...a remote is more of a monitor...both have their place and purpose..
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Wess is right on. I use my Maverick ET-7 that I have had for about 6-8 years for long cooks such as a butt, loin, etc and use my T-pen for a shorter cooks such as steaks, chops, etc.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have 4 RediCheck ET-73's and a Thermapen.Both are invaluable to me for the way I cook.If you could only have one get the thermapen.Unless you do a lotta lo-n slos then you need a ET-73.or later model.Guess it boils down to what kinda cooks you do the most.I could not comprehend not having both. ;)
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    With regard to the remote. I have a Polder and it has been good so far. In your experiences are the remotes all pretty much similar enough, or are some MUCH better than others?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I upgraded to the High Temp probes.Makes all the difference.On the RediCheck.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    Sounds good. Just looked the ET73 up and it might just have gotten onto my 'list'. Thanks!!
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    The replacement probes is what kept my old Mav. ET-7 working all these years. Just an FYI if you go to Thermoworks website which the wife did and bought me the new model T-pen and they are throwing in a timer. She was able to get an Oven Thermo/Timer ( model TW362B ) instead for no additional charge. It works the same with the temp probe but of course is not remote, you will just have to walk out to BGE to check the temp without lifting the lid and letting any heat out. Link is below.

http://thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen.html
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    At some point you will want both types of therm. I have had a thermapen for several years now, and it is the best instant read therm. on the market. I also have a Polder oven therm and the inexpensive thermoworks (same company that makes the thermapen) oven therm/timer both of which work great for low and slow cook monitoring. Although none of these are remote. I like the thermoworks ones because they are easy to set, seem to be pretty accurate and are around $15. Sometime ago I researched buying a maverick ET73, this unit has many positives but many peoples complaint is that the range is to small. Maverick has just come out with a new ET-732 with a range of 300' and beefier high temp probes. This new unit seems to solve most peoples issues with the old models. I have been reading user reviews on other bbq forums and they seem to be favorable about the ET-732. Good luck on your therm. shopping, anything is better than nothing!
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    My brother in law has a Maverick with a pager that monitors internal meat temp only, that come with a heavy gauge wire like the BBQ Guru. The cost is $35.00 and it works really well, the pager works up to 100 feet away. I do believe they have a model that with measure pit temp but I am not sure if comes will the heavy gauge wire.

I would go with the just the strait internal temp probe because if you are confident with the Egg holding its own temp you are fine. If you ever want to buy a BBQ Guru Cyber Q than you could use the Maverick for the oven, when ever the egg if having a break.

Marc
  • cherokeer
    Options
    Get the thermapen. On the long slow cooks you will have an idea when to check it based on time and experience. It's pretty hard to screw up the long cooks but pretty easy to have the fast ones get messed up.

You will NEVER ruin a steak again.

I have a digiqII and a thermapen and would definitely by the thermapen first.

The thermapen is a lot more versatile. Hands down thermapen.

Pm Mollyshark like someone suggested. I ordered one for a friend of mine and it was here in no time.
  • 70chevelle
    Options
    I've been going back and forth on this for while about the thermapen. I have a drawer full of wired and remote probe thermometers (6-8?) 2 still work, but one is the remote and it doesn't let me set the temp, only preset doneness :angry: While I was looking at the Thermopen, I also found a thermocouple therm from Taylor and another, that looks suspiciously similar to the Taylor from a company called CDN. The best price I found on the the Taylor was around $80, and the CDN was under $70. If you google "CDN or Taylor Thermocouple thermometer" you'll be able to see them. Anyway, I didn't pull the trigger on any of them. I ordered a regular thermister thermometer (RT301WA) from Thermoworks (thermopen company) that is supposed to read temps in 6 seconds instead of 3 or 4. I saved $80 right now and will see how it works. If it's no better than the other probe I currently use, I'll probably get the T-pen. Has anyone used either of the other thermocouple thermometers?
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    My Thermapen gets used on pretty much everything I cook. My Maverick hasn't been out of the drawer in over a year. I just find it too much hassle to set up. I can look at a butt and tell you how close it is to leaving the plateau and the Thermapen can confirm that in a few seconds. I don't buy into the line about opening the dome being devastating to the cook. Yes, if you do it every 20 minutes, it might potentially be a problem, but the problem will be heat gain, not heat loss. If you keep dumping oxygen into the fire, it's going to start gaining ground. 30 seconds of dome open every couple of hours isn't going to have any effect. Zero.
  • field hand
    Options
    As covered in earlier posts, both have their use and compliment one another. The ET-73 is great as a monitor and is handy since you can read it in the house and will alert you on an overnight. The Thermapen is for the final act when you're reaching the pull temp range. If you can only have one, buy the Thermapen. Their customer service is great if needed.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • cherokeer
    Options
    Go to the thermoworks site. The thermapens are on sale for $79 plus free shipping.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I agree, I have a couple different wireless therms and never use them. A Thermapen and a cheap wired remote is the way to go. -RP
  • dsmith
    dsmith Posts: 147
    Options
    I just ordered my $79 "Go Big Orange" Tennessee orange Thermapen and went ahead and got the wired oven probe thermometer for $15. For $15 I can step outside and check the temp B) I'm just gonna put the gree egg top over it readout part if it's damp outside.

Thanks for all the info and what great timing for my question!

BTW, FREESHIP11 is the code to get freeshipping.
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Perfect combo DSmitty! You will turn out some good butt's and many other cooks with those tools, and both are great quality. I look forward to some of your cook pic posts in the future!
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I just ordered the exact setup too...in Orange ... Go VOLS!