Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone Substitute

Options
Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Everybody's pizza comments below have me wanting an egged pizza pretty badly. However, I've never made one and I don't have a pizza stone. I do have a plate setter. Can I make do?[p]If I have to get a pizza stone to come close to the desired result, that's OK. I've never tried egged meatloaf, either, and I'm longing for that too. I'm also longing for the waistline I used to have before I started having all these longings...[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Trouble,[p]To be fair, I'm fairly sure our waistlines were shot long long before we started this.
  • BucsFanJim
    Options
    Trouble,
    I've not tried a pizza without the stone...but I did find my stone (16") at Walmart for around $8.00 if that helps.
    Jim

• Trouble
    Options
    BucsFanJim,
    Yes, it does, thanks. I've heard some folks here say that pizza stones crack if you don't get a good one. But for $8.00, that wouldn't be the end of the world anyway. Thanks again.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Trouble,[p]I used my placesetter before it got kind greasy. I got a pizza stone for Christmas and first cook it cracked in half. I placed on top of setter and warmed up both together.[p]I like the way pizza comes out.[p]This is Boboli thin.[p]pizza1.jpg[p]Fresh off the egg,
    pizza2.jpg[p]CWM

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Trouble,
    I use an inverted platesetter.

• Trouble
    Options
    Trouble,
    Car Wash Mike and katman, thanks! Now we're talking...the grocery store is a lot closer than WalMart so I'm making pizza tonight. I'll remedy the lack of a stone this weekend, perhaps.[p]Now I just have to control my drooling while I write out my shopping list. Thanks again to everybody.

• Marine Cook
    Options
    Trouble,[p]With the plate setter alone you may have a problem with burning the crust but it may work fine. I use a plate setter and a BGE pizza stone. I dont put my stone in the egg until 5 minutes before the pizza. I've cooked to many pizzas to keep track now and my BGE stone is still in one piece. Maybe I'm just lucky but the BGE stone is the same mat'l as the egg so I dought it will crack. I have trouble with burnt crust when I preheat the stone the entire time. I also wipe the stone down between pies with a damp cloth to cool it down a bit to prevent the next pie from burning. This was a tip from TNW, works great. Good luck.[p]Semper Fi,[p]MC
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Trouble, I have seen a picture of a pizza screen, I believe it was either here in the green room or on the P forum. It looked like you could use it atop an inverted plate setter w/o a pizza stone and was to help in the cooking process. Does anyone use one of these?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Not inverted, legs down :~/

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Mark Backer
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Eggsellent and I do. We have a friend that owns a pizza store and he gave us one, and I loved it. no worries of the pie sticking to anything and nice even cooking with a little cushion of air.[p]
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Here's a glimpse of a pizza screen. I was thinking the same thing - that if only using a platesetter, it probably would be a good solution to keep the crust from buring. I have trouble even WITH a pizza stone. The screen works great. Haven't scorched a crust yet using one[p]01-Pscreen.jpg.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Do either of you pre-bake the dough a little before going on the stone or do you place fresh dough on it after rolling out? Are they inexpensive enough to own two?

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    I mean "screen" not stone.....I need a proofreader!
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Mark Backer
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Oh heck yes. Those screens cost about 2 bucks. If you have a local papa johns or CiCi's or something like that, just ask them if they'll sell you a large or two. They usually will. [p]
    That's how I've heard of several folks getting them...

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]No, I don't precook the dough at all. I actually use the screen to help shape the dough into a "perfect" circle. You cannot press it into the diamonds real hard or it will stick. But by just gently pressing and pulling it works well to help shape. I don't even use Pam on it, just bare metal.[p]They're pretty cheap. Here's the place I got mine. I couldn't find them in a few places and just sprung for the shipping. Yes, I ordered two. Makes it nice to have one in the egg and prepping another.[p]A Best Kitchen
  • Trouble
    Options
    All,
    You guys are the best. I am without stone and screen, so I'll go with Boboli and cook just long enough to get the toppings right. [p]I love these discussions--so many great ideas!
    Thanks
    Joyce