Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bear stew/ chile

Options
ranger ray
ranger ray Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
a pal gave me a really nice bear roast..... have any suggestions?????? thanks! ray

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ray,

You can do a roast/braise if you want.
    Stud it with garlic and roast it in a DO for an hour and a half at 350* on strips of bear or beef fat and onions. Remove the fat and rendered oil and save a bit of the oil. Return thr bear to the DO and add thick cut onions, carrots, celery and any root vegetables you have. Cook until the vegetables start to pick up some colour. Add beef stock and red wine enough to cover and braise at 300* for a couple of hours. Marjoram, thyme rosemary, peppercorns and lots of worcestershire sauce.

You can do the same sort of thing with crushed tomatoes and wine as the braising liquid as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Steven - I've never had and probably never will have bear meat, but if I read between the lines it sounds like you are trying to overcome a bad tasting piece of meat by masking the flavor and ridding the fat. Am I right?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ron,

No not at all. Bear has an amazing flavour, very similar to moose but the meat is stringy because the animal is pure muscle. It is most often stewed and not roasted because of this. The flavour is strong and stands up well to strong ingredients.
    Oddly, I haven't cooked any in many years because a group of environmentalists in Toronto successfully lobbied to have the spring hunt cancelled. We now have bears and bear attacks in our southern cities and folks in the north have lost their life savings having the lovable little guys humanely removed from their homes and yards only to return again and again.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Thanks for explaining that Steven - as for relating the taste of bear to that of moose didn't help, but I know you sure tried! Down here we have a joke about a hunter arrested for killing an endangered bird species. When the conservation officer asked what it tasted like the hunter said "oh about like a Bald Eagle."
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.