Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry/Wet Agers

Options
mcdraw
mcdraw Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a 17 lb. "Prime" boneless prime rib roast from Costco for the XMAS dinner. Marbling looked pretty good, not great. Wet aged the whole roast for 21 days, then 5 days dry. The cook went smooth but the beef was just OK. I was disappointed.

Have you experienced this with Costco cuts? I have noticed this with their "Choice" cuts before but thought getting "Prime" plus the aging would make a real difference. Do you generally get your cuts from the butcher?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    have you had dry aged beef?

do you know what you were expecting or was this a first attempt?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mcdraw
    Options
    I've had dry aged and wet aged beef several times. This roast had an overall lack of flavor which surprised me. Wondered if others experienced this with Costco "Prime" as well.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The beef is graded by the USDA, not by Costco.

USDA Prime is USDA Prime no matter where you buy it, unless it is from the back of a plain white box truck in an alleyway somewhere.
  • stike
    Options
    fat is flavor...

if the marbling was sub par for prime, and the meat not condensed (5 days dry-aging won't do much to condense it), then you are pretty much hanging your hat solely on the quality of the beef.

wet aging will break down the meat a little, and introduce some flavors as byproducts, but in the end, it is more important to have the best beef you can.

maybe your expectations were too high? as much as i love dry aged beef, you still can have more 'flavor' from a ham, or bacon, or something where you actually add significant additional flavorants.

i don't know if you saw my christmas roast post, but i was almost embarrassed that it was 'only' about 35 days dry aged. it was damn flavorful, but even the best dry-aged is merely still just wet aged in the center of the roast. i eat the outer inch and a half with gusto. but the middle is 'just' regular old prime rib

and if i want regular old beef, i prefer the slightly beefier (i think, anyway) strip.

give the dry-age a longer term, and you might see a bump in flavor.

too bad about the lack of marbling. my choice beef was nicely marbled, but lacking a fat cap. if you find nicely marbled, nice fat cap, well, you won't have anything to worry about except for whether the aging (wet or dry) flavor is up your alley
  • mcdraw
    Options
    I hear ya regarding grading. Didn't see a white box truck in the alley but I really just don't know anything on the overall beef supply system other than me showing up at the store and buying. Thanks
  • mcdraw
    Options
    Thanks for the info. The roast was tender (I'm sure the wet aging helped)and I realize the 5 day dry age didn't do much (I wanted to dry age longer but forgot about it). I didn't want to dry age the whole time as we have other items in the garage fridge. Fat cap was good but probably marbling was the issue. The advantage is that the garage fridge is nearly empty (including beer :( ) so I can try a longer dry age. Thanks.
  • stike
    Options
    what other items in the fridge would limit the time you can dry age? as long as you don't have anything with strong odors, you would be fine
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    There's a Jeffrey Dahmer joke in there somewhere, I'm just too lazy to coax it out.
  • stike
    Options
    "too lazy to coax it out".

somehow i don't think you are ever too lazy to coax one out
  • Matt_in_the_OC
    Options
    My guess is your whole problem was not enough salt.

There is 2 parts to aging, texture and flavor. The enzymes in the meat beak down the meat to be more tender in the first 13 days. The flavor is intensified by eliminating the water content through drying. You probably needed more dry time.

Here is what I do to get full salt coverage plus a little extra flavor. I got the idea from Ruth's Chris Steak house.

6 lb Boneless Rib Roast
    Canola oil, to coat roast
    salt and pepper
    super finely chopped fresh parsley
    Butter
    Parmigiano-Reggiano

Place Roast on a half sheet pan fitted with a rack. Pat the meat Dry. Place into a refrigerator at approximately 50 to 60 percent humidity and between 34 and 38F for 15 days. Cut into 6 steaks and trim fat to 1/4” and trim off any leathery areas. Let steaks warm to room temperature.

Preheat the grill to high. Coat the steaks with oil, salt, and pepper. SPRAY THE GRILL WITH OIL. Grill Steaks for 6 minutes on the first side. Flip and cook until internal temperature reaches 132F. Cover loosely in foil and let rest for 10 minutes.

Place plates in a cold oven and set it to 350deg for 15 minutes. Melt the butter on the plates and top with Parmigiano-Reggiano and parsley. Place steak on top of cheese.
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    Matt - love the recipe, will have to try that soon!

Question: Why dry age it whole, then cut it into steaks. I am no expert here at all, but why not dry age the steaks after being cut. I would think that the center of the whole roast would not see the benefits of dry aging, as it would always remain moist.

Now, if you were going to cook the whole roast, then certainly keep it whole and slice it at the table.

Just asking, as I have never dry aged, but I plan on trying soon and this question has bugged me for some time.
  • stike
    Options
    the exposed ends of a roast will be overly dry and essentially jerky. those are trimmed and the rest is eaten. if you dry aged a steak for any decent length of time, the two sides would give up too much moisture.

drying needs to be done slowly, and exposing the flesh by cutting it into steaks would expose the flesh (not fat), causing it to dry too quickly. you are trying to condense the exterior fat primarily, and most rapidly. although overall there will be some water loss across the whole chunk.
  • Matt_in_the_OC
    Options
    Stike is right I aged as steaks once and the outside gets a little leathery. When aging whole, the ends are trimmed off as thin as possible, before making into steaks.

I thought 28 was a little gamey, I prefer in the 15 day range.