Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP: Took a chip out of egg

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting my christmas present ready: handler with 4 inch wheels.
Went to unbolt the top steel binder and the steel bent around and took a 1 inch chip out of the top of the egg.
photo-14.jpg
A couple of other shots from inside and outside.
I am thinking will have to cut off the bolt, your thoughts of will the egg start having problems now that it is cracked good?
photo-13.jpg
Inside pic
photo-15.jpg
photo-16.jpg
Just noticed when posting this of all the crazing of the top of the egg. Not sure that happend when I was trying to unscrew the band or ????
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hey Mickey,
    Just use JB Weld and sand it to fit the shape you need.
    Might need to buy your old large nest if you are not needing it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Appears your top band is way too low. It is not up against the molded rim of the dome. That may be where the problem is. :(
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Could be. I also think it would work better if a carriage bolt was not used.
    I would rather hold a wrench on one side and turn the other. The tork twists and pulls the band.
    Who knows?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Options
    Darian you can't buy it, but will be glad to give it to you when you come up in March.
    Or mail it to you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Thank you Mickey.
    I was taken by Aliens on New Years and they forced me to drunk dial and promises were made. We will be in Salado. B)
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Options
    We were at Mikes on New Years and his was bent, caused by people forceing down with the old style latch.
    Still the steel band was bent like this.
    Odd.....................

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Dad gumb it man! :ohmy:
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I always cut the bolts off if I feel them not threading correctly. My large band twisted up like that the first time I tried to remove it and it has never been the same. I agree with Photo Egg, not sure why they use carriage bolts.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    What Darian says sounds solid. I can't turn my back on you for a second, can I? I thought you were home with the flu, anyway! :ohmy:

Mike
  • Mickey
    Options
    I am, but around 1:00 got to feeling better and thought I would loosen the band: that went well as you can see.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    crazing is definitely not an issue. it's supposed to craze. not sure the chip itself is a big deal either. not structural, and i don't think there's an worry for it cracking or allowing smoke or water in (or out)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You got something else going on with the band twisted like that...not sure what...but that is definately not right..
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Mickey, I've had a similar chip in my Medium for years. Can't see any evidence that it has been a problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Good luck.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Wess it is like Darian said. When I put lots of push on the nut, the carrage bolt turned the banding and chipped the top.
    Will not replace with carrage bolts.

• AlwaysGolf
    Options
    And to think I was going to ask you to help me replace my gaskets this spring! LOL

Shouldn't affect anything, mold it with some jbweld like someone else mentinoned!!

Hope you and Linda had a great New Year!!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Yes!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You shouldn't have any problems putting a wrench or even some channelocks on the square part of the band that the bolt goes through and hold it as if it were the head of a bolt...in order to prevent the twisting of the band.
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    WessB wrote:
    You shouldn't have any problems putting a wrench or even some channelocks on the square part of the band that the bolt goes through and hold it as if it were the head of a bolt...in order to prevent the twisting of the band.

I had this happen, but not as bad. I laid an adjustable wrench (just a big flat piece of metal) between the two sets of tabs so the bottom band supported the upper when I turned the nut. You are right about the carriage bolts being a poor choice.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Wess that sure is good advice now. But when it happened, did not see the need.
    Thinking non-carrage bolts will work with less thought needed...