Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had been putting away money for a year to suprise my husband with a BGE for Christmas. I finally paid it off on Christmas Eve and went all out to buy the BGE, nest and side tables. My two teenagers and I put the BGE all together and managed to hide it in our living room! It was the best gift ever much to my husband's suprise, not to mention paid for! We had some delicious filets on the day after Christmas. I was afraid to leave the BGE out in the open on our driveway and suggested we wheel it into the garage after use. The nightmare began...the egg toppled over and cracked all the way through, not only the outer shell but the inner as well. It is one giant crack through each piece. HELP!! Can we repair? Return? What to do about our loss? Sincerely, Sad Judy and Tom

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Sad Judy,
    I would talk to your dealer and possibly call Atlanta. There have been stories of Atlanta providing replacment parts at a reduced price. I hope you can get things running again soon!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Sad Judy,[p]That is very sad, indeed.

First, I would suggest contacting your dealer and tell him the simple sad truth. They may be able to help you replace the outer shell at little or, with luck, no cost at all. It will not hurt to ask.[p]The crack can be repaired to a degree using adhesives but it will forever be flawed and at risk of getting worse with time.[p]Your best bet is to get a new shell.[p]And kinda late, but it's always best to pull an egg in it's nest than it is to push.[p]Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.[p]John
    [p]

• Pigasso
    Pigasso Posts: 111
    Options
    Sad Judy, I empathize with you. I had my large BGE for only two cooks before I decided to wheel it into the garage for the night. Enter one small hole in driveway, one extension cord = topple. I completely fractured the base but the dome was OK. See crying man in driveway holding head in hands. I ended up ordering just the base from a BGE dealer. It still hurt - but I doubt whether you will find anyone as careful as us when moving the egg in the future.[p]With best wishes,[p]Pigasso.

• The forum really helped us. Sad Judy's husband went to the BGE store today in Atlanta which was where the egg was purchased. We got a very fair price on replacement parts for the BGE. Thanks for all who replied. Happy Judy
  • Pigasso
    Pigasso Posts: 111
    Options
    Happy Judy, - the adventure continues! Congratulations.