Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ET 73 vs ET 732

BullyQue
BullyQue Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife ordered me a 73. I thought that I would really like to have the 732 because I would think that the new one is better and I like the higher temperature ability.
Is it worth the wait for the 732.

Comments

• TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    From what I read, I have to say yes. The range is longer, the transmitter has the on/off switch on the outside of the unit. The probes and wires have a much higher temperature rating. The only drawback I know is the availability of the new unit.
  • Hi! I have an ET73 and I just started using it. I found it to possibly be defective because it only has a range of 10 feet line of sight. Through my glass sliding door the range was closer to 7 feet. I have authorization to send it back. I can't believe that this is how it is supposed to operate. I did also get an ET732 as a gift but did not receive it yet due to the backorder situation. Check YouTube for a video of the 732. It's range claim of 300ft is accurate according to this video on YouTube where it was tested.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    howmeisterg wrote:
    Hi! I have an ET73 and I just started using it. I found it to possibly be defective because it only has a range of 10 feet line of sight. Through my glass sliding door the range was closer to 7 feet. I have authorization to send it back. I can't believe that this is how it is supposed to operate. I did also get an ET732 as a gift but did not receive it yet due to the backorder situation. Check YouTube for a video of the 732. It's range claim of 300ft is accurate according to this video on YouTube where it was tested.

You received a bad unit. Mine will register fine from my neighbors house or upstairs in my bedroom when I do overnighters.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I have owned my ET-73 for two years now and have gone through two sets (that's a pit and food probe) of standard probes (410F) during 250F dome cooks. I ordered high temp food probes (570F) and have been using one for the pit and one for the food with good luck. Now my switch acts like it want to break when switching the unit on or off. What next I ask myself. :unsure: The other part of my story is my ET-73 can not go through my rock wall it don't even work ten feet just inside the door. :angry: I mainly use it outside next to the egg so I don't have to open the dome very often. Don't get me wrong I feel it's the best thing I have going for me as far as a food probe but, I'm ready for an upgrade and from the research I have seen the ET-732 may fit the bill. Tim ;)
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Well, I don't own either model, which tells you what my opinion is worth, but based on the video I saw of the 732 I would wait. I am planning to buy one as soon as they come off of backorder. It sounds like you have to return the 73 anyway; might as well wait a bit for the newer model.
    New Orleans LA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Most definitely defective. My ET73 works fine in my house to at least 75 feet through multiple walls to my office.

The ET732 sounds like it is worth the wait.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • KMO_Q
    KMO_Q Posts: 150
    I have the 73 and have had no issues with transmission...work great
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Anyone know how long they are backordered? Im getting one for Christmas whenever it gets here :)