Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to use for firebrick, When to use it

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What should I use for Firebrick. On Tim M's page, the bricks he uses look like standard concrete walkway-type bricks I could buy cheaply at Home Depot. What does this add to the process?[p]I noticed he used them when cooking turkey. I have had my egg for exactly 1 week, and have done a Pork Butt, Baby backs, salmon, and a turkey breast. The breast was the only relative disappointment. I did it up on a drip pan, low and slow at 220 until internal temperature of 180. I was surprised at how long this took, and the meat, although tasty, was drier than I expected. Would firebricks and higher dome temp help?

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    11_25_9906_24_03.jpg
    <p />Smoov-E-Luvman, firebricks are typically used for low and slow cooking like pork butts, beef jerky (today) and baby back ribs. For baby backs I typically remove them for the last 45 minutes and let the ribs cook direct. [p]The only time that I use them at higher temps (500-550 degrees) is to hold my pizza stone.[p]Firebricks are special bricks that can withstand heat - typically used to line the inside of a fire place. The ones that Tim and I both use are 1/2 bricks (1/2 the width) and can be purchased at a brick yard for about $1.25 each.[p]The picture is a typical setting - I have other possibilities shown at the link, but don't use them anymore. Good luck!

[ul][li]Firebricks[/ul]
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Smoov-E-Luvman,[p]Turkey breast is very lean & dries out easily. Try cooking to 155-160 instead of 180.[p]You might also consider brining (soaking the breast overnight in a solution of 1 cup kosher salt/1 cup sugar to 1 gallon water), which makes any poultry much juicier & lessens the danger of overcooking.[p]Cathy
  • Unknown
    Options
    Cat, If' I may toss in a suggestion..220 is might low IMHO for turkey breasts. He would be better off to run at 350 degree's indirect. What ya think??
    C~W[p]

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Char-Wood,[p]Good point...I didn't notice the cooking temp. [p]Glad one of us is paying attention. ;-}[p]Cathy