Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Cheese

Options
PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now that I understand the technique and purchased a soldering iron, please tell me this. Does it have to be air tight, or is wrapped in Saran then zip locked OK? When to wrap it? Right as it comes from the smoker, or first chill open and then wrap? I want to get this right. I have quite an investment. Swiss, sharp cheddar and pepper jack. Can't wait to have it with crisp apples.
Thanks. I see a lot of you folks are smoking cheeses.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    You can wrap it right away. I believe the Whiz had a freind of his, who left theirs open in the fridge and then was looking for a way to get rid of that smell in his fridge. Took quite a bit of cleaning and a few activated charcoal air filters, if memory serves.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    This will be the easiest smoke you do Patty. Smoke, pull it and wrap it. You will most likely taste it, It'll be bitter. Let it sit for 3, day's minimum. I like it longer. Let us know what your thougths are. Pepperjack is my fav.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Right. I heard not to use kitchen refrig. I plan to set up my porch table top refrig for this, so I'll have five months for it to air out. Unless, I do another smoke before spring. :-)
    OK, wrap right away. Good. Thanks.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I foodsaver it right outta the Egg and let it mellow in the xtra fridge for at least a week.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Hey....Those are the three cheeses I just did :woohoo:
    I wrap in saran and then put those in a "freezer" Zip-Lock.
    Never have had a problem in the kitchen fridge.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Snoopy Dog has asked me to teach a class on this at the OKC eggfest...going to be the shortest and most simple class featured! :whistle::whistle:

Just hope none of my customers are present...lol. :blush:

Bruce