Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roast Oysters on the Big Green Egg

northandsouth
northandsouth Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any feedback on roasting oysters on the egg. I have always steamed them but was thinking of roasting them- I have a large egg, have a place setter- thoughts?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This is one way.

Oysters, Grilled, Drago, Charbroiled

Charbroiled a few oysters tonight

INGREDIENTS:
    2-3 Dozen Oysters, 1/2 Shell
    2 Lbs Butter, Melted
    1/2 cup Chopped garlic,
    1 Tbs Black pepper, and
    1 Tbs Italian seasoning.
    Parmesan Cheese
    Parsley, Chopped

Procedure:
    1 Stabilized the egg at 250 dome and put the oysters on as fast I could then poured the butter mixture over them and closed the dome (flamed up pretty good just like you want it to). After a few minutes moved the oysters around to get the flames lickin the shells. When the were done loaded them up with grated parsesan, romano cheese and chopped parsley - closed the dome for about a minute to let the cheese melt. Paired with a bottle of La Famiglia Pinot Grigio - mighty fine.
    2 Saving the shells so the next time I can buy them already shucked.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Frank in Houma, 2008/01/08
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    It has been done quite a few times before...use the search function "roast oysters" and I am sure others will chime in also... :)
  • I cannot find how to cook them- can you control the fire with the dome open? Would like to throw 20 on at a time, let em pop open pull them off.... platesetter?
  • Richard Fl
    I have just tossed them on the fire around 350 closed the lid and let sit for 10-15 minutes while they open. You can also place in a metal container to catch the liquor.
    This will work on the BGE also.

Oysters, Louisiana, Ala Rockefeller

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Dzn. Oysters, Freshly Opened, on the half shell
    6 Tbs. Butter, Salted, Lightly
    6 Tbs. Spinach, Fresh, Minced
    3 Tbs. Onions, Minced, Prefer Vadalia
    3 Tbs. Parsley, Fresh
    3 Tbs. Celery Leaves, Minced
    5 Tbs. Bread Crumbs, Fresh White
    Dash Hot Pepper Sauce, Tabasco
    1 Tsp. Herbsaint* Liqueur
    Rock Salt

PROCEDURE:
    1 Melt butter in saucepan. Add all ingredients, except rock salt, and stir constantly over low heat for 15 minutes or until mixture is soft. Cool and place in food processor. Puree with metal blades. Place rock salt in 6 pie tins. Set oysters on top of salt, 6 for each tin. Place a spoonful of topping on each oyster. Broil under medium heat until salt browns, 3-5 minutes-. Serve immediately.
    2 This can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance and placed under the broiler just before serving. If oysters are part of a buffet, they are served directly from the pie tins., garnished with parsley. If served as an appetizer, 2 oyster shells are arranged on a lettuce leaf and served with a lemon wedge and parsley.
    3 *Herbsaint is a Liquere D'Anis (anise liquor ) produced in New Orleans, Louisiana, renowned as "The Spirit of New Orleans". Pernod's Aperitif Anis ( anise aperitif ), an exclusive product of France can be substituted

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Dr. & Mrs. John R. Royer

Source: Richard Howe
  • I put mine on indirect at about 375, throw a damp towel over them(bath towel, not hand towel) and close the lid.
  • I love them chargrilled. Here is a variety that I made:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=994287&catid=1#

I also make Oysters Rockefeller:

CIMG2092.jpg

P4112658.jpg

Give them a try, I'm sure you will like them.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • wow i feel like a piker here.. i just scrub them and put a half dozen at a time on the mini and close the lid, about 350°, i take them off with tongs after they open trying not to spill the liqour
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Drago's oysters.MissippiEgger cooks em sometimes.Send him an email.
  • Richard Fl
    Hos, you get my mail this am?

Oysters, Grilled, Drago

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 Dzn. Louisiana oysters
    1 Tbs butter garlic sauce (see recipe)
    Parmesan cheese and Romano cheese
    Butter & Garlic Sauce
    10 oz melted margarine or butter
    1 Tbs black pepper, white pepper, granulated garlic
    3 Tbs minced garlic

PROCEDURE:
    1 On outside grill, place half dozen oysters (on the halfshell). Put 1 tbsp. butter garlic sauce (see recipe) and sprinkle Parmesan cheese and Romano cheese on each oyster and allow to saute in shell till oysters curl. Serve hot.
    2 Caution: We recommend cooking on an outside grill because of intense heat and smoke.
    3 And of course, you can add additional flavor to any Louisiana Seafood recipe with a few shakes of TABASCO brand Pepper Sauce."

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: Chef Tommy Cvitanovich, Drago's:
  • Hoss
    Have not checked it yet.I just got up! :blush:
  • Richard Fl
    What, no matters to pick and can??
  • RichardFL's recipe on his earlier post is almost identical to the one I have used and is ALMOST as good as being at Drago's.

Except, Spring Chicken told me the Dragos-owned oyster beds were closed due to the BP Oil spill and nobody will sell them oysters at reasonable prices.
  • Hoss
    I'm just gettin a late start. :blush:
  • Hoss
  • bill- i do the same xcept I don't even scrub them!
    IMG_3549.jpg

these are welfleet (MA) oysters. Sometimes I leave them on too long though, and they get a little rubbery.
    I intend to try shucking(removing half the shell) first and see how they do.
  • @Florida Grillin Girl‌ hey I know this thread is 4 years old lol ... Do you still have your egg? I live just north of Jax and love grilling oysters waiting for them to pop open :) my question for you is this: I used to do this on my gas grills and by the end of football season my grills were usually rusted and yuckey is there any harm to the egg doing this ?? Salt water and all Thanx

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"