Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any tips for using the Maverick ET-73?

Options
johnl350
johnl350 Posts: 125
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got 2 Maverick ET-73 thermometers for Christmas(so ill be selling one), but wanted to know of any tips before i use it. I noticed in the instructions it says the wire shouldnt be over direct flames and shouldnt be pinched by the top of the grill...I think both of those will happen with the BGE since the plate setter has the gap on the sides as well as the top will pinch the wire coming out of the grill. Im assuming this doesnt matter that much since I have seen alot of folks on here talk about using the ET-73. Im hoping to try it out in the next couple of weeks!!!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if you keep temps in the low and slow range (under 300 dome) you dont need to worry about the flames. dont let anyone wash the probes, it only takes a tiny amount of water to get in the conection of probe to wire to ruin them. dont throw the directions away til you use the unit several times, setup isnt totally intuitive. remember to turn the alarm on after setting temps. i set high and low alarms loosely for an overnight, low at 195 and high at 285 dome. batteries seem to last forever, not much need to open the back compartment to shut the unit off
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Running the wire between the dome and base won't hurt it. I pull my BGE dome therm out and stick the Maverick probe in the same hole to monitor dome temps. I also stick the transmitter unit in a sandwich bag and seal the center with the wires coming out the edges of the opening for extra moisture protection. Also, depending on how your home is built and how many walls the signal needs to travel through you need to make sure you don't lose signal. If you do it will show ---- where the temp readings should be on the receiver. I set my grill temps between 200 and 280 when cooking butts at 250 dome. There is no sense in having it overly sensitive if you want some sleep. I also set my receiver close to the transmiter... the beeping carries a long way in the middle of the night. I love mine and only complaint would be the transmiting distance. The new model ET-732 has an antenna which I am sure would greatly extend the range.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Position your platesetter so the wire is over one of the legs, thus giving you a heat shield to the edge of the dome. Otherwise you can place a piece of foil between the wire and the exposed lump to provide a shield.
    I do not wrap my wire in a 'tube' of foil, though I have seen pics on here with that being done. Somewhere along the way, I was told that would increase the heat inside the tube and overheat the wire. I have no idea if this is true or an 'urban legend' but have not found the need to do so.
    I have 'toasted' a couple of the probes through forgetfulness over the years, but they are easy to replace and Maverick does now make metal, hi temp probes.
    Like Fishless, I agree about the batteries, though I do turn mine off in the early stages of a cook and when done. I still have the original batteries and my unit will be 5 years old this summer!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Remember you have to turn the transmitter on immediately followed by the receiver to get them to synch up. The transmitter on/off switch is under the battery door which is pretty annoying and the little slotted locking mechnism likes to fall out so watch out for that ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I have always turned my receiver on first. It doesn't seem to matter how long I wait before turning on the transmitter, it connects up in a few seconds.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My bad...you are correct, Schiff. Instructions state receiver then transmitter. I actually just do it at the same time and that usually works ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• thegrillster
    Options
    Best tip I have is to return them. They will go bad.