Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker? CyberQ? My head hurts...

abundell
abundell Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm on the fence. The price is not so much an issue. They're both ridiculously expensive and if I'm spending over $300, I want to do it once. (I only have one large BGE... no plans for more)

Here's what I think I like about the Stoker that I don't think the CyberQ does:

It's got an IP address... I can plug a wireless adapter directly into the Stoker... and I can control it from my phone.

If I'm reading the CyberQ manual properly, I need to hardwire the device to a PC (not a Mac, which I have)... that's a problem for me as my PC is other end of house... and I'm not clear that I can control it from my phone even in that case, though I suspect I could.

Here's what I don't think I like about the Stoker. It seems as if the pit temp maxes out at 450. That's what drives me nuts about the ET-73. When it maxes out, I don't know if the dome temp is 450 or 700.

Other than that, unless there's something I'm missing, I think it's 6-o-1-half a dozen-o-another.

Comments

• If you are using pit temps over 450, you don't really need a controller. Also, the CyberQ only controls up to 475 so that's no big difference.

But if you want easy network connectivity, I'd get the Stoker. If you want ease of use, I'd get a DigiQ if you want to control 1 cooker or the CyberQ if you want to control 2.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    My two cents worth:

1. If you're cooking anywhere north of 300 (or maybe even 350) then the cook isn't going to be long enough or the temps requirement precise enough that use of an auto temp controller even makes sense.

2. I don't understand the need/desire to control it remotely or from your phone. You set the temp and let it do its thing until the food is done. What are you going to do remotely? Yea, I know you can check temps, but you either trust them to do their job or you don't. If you don't think it will work thereby creating the need to babysit the device - then why drop the cash on it?
  • azbbguy
    azbbguy Posts: 191
    I cant believe neither of these devices have WIFI yet.
  •  
    First off, the ET-732 (new model) goes to a higher temperature.

I only thought I would have one egg too. Two of us and 4 eggs. I bought the diqII (q2) first then decided I wanted to have computer interface and log the cook so I ended up buying a Stoker also.

You can monitor/control the Stoker from any device that has internet connection and or your LAN connection.

The Stoker can assign the blower (pit control) to any probe at any time and if you like you can monitor as many pieces of food you want as long as you have the probes on hand.

I often use the stoker to control and monitor my large with the stoker blower and also monitor the medium or small which I connect the q2 to. Obviously I can't control the q2 with the stoker but I can monitor it from the computer/phone.

One advantage of the Stoker is the versatility.

The only disadvantage is the q2/cyberQ is a physically smaller unit.

GG
  • I have used the Stoker for about 3 years and I love it.....I like the fact that I have the ability to monitor or even change the pit temp remotely.....on cold and rainy days, I can sit in my house by the fire and periodically check the temps....beside myself having an XL both my sons have XL's with the Stoker and when we do a large cook on all three, I can check all three Eggs from wherever I am

The biggest advantage is, once I set the pit temp, it will stay there for many hours.....I have cooked for twenty plus hours wit no problem
  • Ditto. I like my Stoker and yes I've controlled it via my phone and was really nice.

Last Christmas Day I was cooking a turkey while the party was at my neighbors house...sure did make it easy - I actually turned up the heat at at the end of the cook from my blackberry- worked perfect!!
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    If you access the internet very much, then the Stoker is a very handy thing. I really like mine.

It seems the times when you are the busiest are also the times you can least afford to screw up. It was my job to bring the Christmas turkey over to my sister's on Christmas day. With such a busy day, and a turkey schedule to keep, it was great to set the Stoker up for a cook at 325. That way I could be confident in my time calculations for when it would be done (although I always cook to temp), and know that it would come out perfectly, despite having a hundred things to do that day.

If you can see any value to monitoring and controlling your Egg and food from any internet access point, then the Stoker is the only way to go.

Mark
  • Y'know, maybe I asked the wrong question.

I have two issues, neither or which requires a Stoker/CyberQ (but might be solved with a new ET-732)...

There are times when I have some trouble controlling temp and when I use high heat, once I go past the limits of my ET-73, I have no idea what the temp is.

When I slow cook for hours (ribs, etc.), the ET-73's signal range is about 20-25 ft. Which means the receiver sits on the kitchen counter and nowhere else. I would like to be able to at least monitor the temp from other parts of the house so if the temp starts to swing, I can adjust.

Second, when I plank salmon, I like to cook at 425+. For short cooks, the temp can soar quickly. Once the ET-73 goes HHH it's a mystery. So I have to stand there and use the BGE thermometer.

So my new solution could be a DigiQ and an ET-732. The extended range and higher temp could be just what I need and the DigiQ for long slow cooks.

Maybe that's the ticket.
  • The Stoker sells a generic K-type adapter. You can use this to plug in a high temp sensor. Thermoworks (aka the Thermapen people) sell high temp K-type sensors.

But for high heat, you should not really need a power draft system. I had problems with higher temps for a while. What I learned was, I needed to consistently build a fire with good gaps to allow air to flow. It also just took me some time to learn how to set the vents if I didn't want a lava fire. If you just want to reliably know the temperature, get yourself a Tel-Tru thermometer. They read as high as 1000 F.

I like my Stoker, and I use my phone all the time to check it when I am using it. The Twitter functionality is fun too. One thing to note, the Stoker is not waterproof.
  • I dont think they really make a device for that. Like was said when your cooking that hot its typically not for a really long time so theres no need.
    Sounds like you might not be stabilizing your egg temp? I can get them egg up to 450+ and get it stabilized and it will stay locked in, might drop a little when I add food but comes right back up. I always thought that was one of the beauties of the egg.
  • Both are super units. I also struggled with the choice between the Stoker and the DigiQ II. I would love to be able to get on my phone wherever I am and check temps. But in reality it is not necessary. I ended up getting the DigiQ II (about a $100 less at that time). I can set the temp and walk away. There is no need to "keep an eye on it" it does it's job amazingly well.
  • the reason for the 450F limitation is the insulation on the temperature probe wires.
    i agree with the others who say a cook higher than 400F is probably a quick cook, with no need for a temperature controller
    i've had a stoker for a few years and love it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I guess I just don't get it. To me, unless you're cooking at 250° for hours on end, WHY would one of these devices make any difference whatsoever? A 350-450°cook is a short cook so let the egg do it's thing.

Even if it IS a long lo n slo, like a butt or brisket, the egg is very good at that too. If you want peace of mind, okay, I guess I can buy that, but personally, I think it's a waste of money. You could almost buy a small for the price of one of these.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut