Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Standing Rib Roast

Hsbldr1Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
edited 9:40AM in EggHead Forum
Well finally made a decision. I believe or hope at least that that will be the most difficult part of this cook! Decided on Thirdeyes low and slow with end sear. Roast is in fridge "ageing" for an 8am date with the BGE. Hoping to eat around 1pm. The last 2 yrs have been tenderloins with great success but i really want a "Christmas Card" table meal and think the roast is more traditional. Anyway ya'll wish me luck and i will try to take some pics.

Comments

• Hsbldr1,

Doing it slow makes it more difficult for the cook to mess up. That is why I do them that way. I don't know Thirdeye's method but if you are cooking at 250* you probably won't need a sear.

Merry Christmas

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    I'll be pulling one off in about 20 minutes.No sear here. ;) 250 Dome, 4.5 hours.It was a 4 bone.Pullin off the Egg @ 120 Internal.
  • Hsbldr1Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
    Thanks i will keep a close watch on it. He says it is a very short process 2 to 8 minutes. Done only for apperance "malliard reaction" if it is perfectly browned i won't do it i guess as it is not to cook further. Also i am not looking for the easiest way but rather the best so any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
  • EGGARYEGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Plan on doing a Bone-in Rib Roast tomorrow. If I do it at 250 - 300, direct or indirect ?

Thanks. Merry Christmas !

Gary
  • Hsbldr1Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
    I am doing mine indirect
  • JTCJTC Posts: 20
    Do you have the link to Thirdeye's recipe for Bone in Rib eye/prime rib? thx
  • You may find you don't need the end sear.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Merry Christmas Buddy.

Steve 

Caledon, ON