Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast Internal Temp

Options
abundell
abundell Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to Mad Max a rib roast tomorrow. It's 4.3 lbs. Here's my question...

Max shows what looks like a perfectly cooked roast in the pic and says it's 125 deg. I have looked at half a dozen other posts and medium rare is defined as 130, 135, 140 deg. I want a medium rare where the meat appears cooked, though pinky red throughout. I'm OK if a thin slice in the center has that on-the-verge-of uncooked look, but my family likes it best when it ain't mooing back atcha. Is there a particular temp for that?

Thanks

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    125 at the very center should yield a few 140s on the edges and and a few 135s closer to the center and so on. Rememebr it will rise a little with the resting period so the 125 when pulled will be more like 130+ when you eat it.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    abundell,

You probably want to go to (shudder) 135*, pull and rest.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    max cooks at roasting temps, more carry over 125 and give it a rest under foil will get the temps um high enough. give it a half hour under loose foil and it will carry up to maybe 135. pull it at 127 and it will be more medium side of med rare. yours is a small roast, with a big roast i would even pull it sooner, long rest makes a big difference
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it